How's this pen sound?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tippler, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Tippler

Tippler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Desert Hills (PHX)
    Birds are about 8 and 10 months old and currently living in a empty pigeon aviary. They are going out daily and soon will roam free.
    I am planning to build them a cage.
    I have long horse shades stretching my wall. My plans are 20'l x 6'd x2, 2.5' tall. Should I make it taller?
    The back sides and roof will be solid (I may just use the horse shade as the roof and skip the wood. The front will 1/2" welded wire.
    The floor will also be wire but I need to find something stronger.
    What size is good? I am thinking 1x1" wire?
    I will have a small door on the right with some sort of trap.
    Maybe the bob style traps Pigeon fanciers use that can open both directions. I would also need to keep in one direction for a time to settle them in.
    Short strip of plywood will be on the right side by the door for the water and feed away.

But like I said once settled in there they will be roaming free so I just wanted something big enough for them to feel nice at night.
    Currently have 2 cocks and hen India blue, plan on adding another hen sometime in the near future.
    Is 6' too deep?
    They way I am planing it would mean I could only access the far right side via a latter for water and feed. Birds back in there would be there.
    I could build the whole front section on a 180 degree hinge so I could get in the whole area. I would still build a door within that door on the right for feed and such.
    This will not have any legs and be hanging from the horse shade frame.
    Bottom should be about 7-8' high
    So what do you think?

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    This is only my opinion. I would never have a pen that I couldn't access easily. At 7' off the ground with a small door, how are they going to get in? I don't know what your limiting factors are (do you plan to house something underneath them?) but 2.5' isn't high enough. If they lay eggs in the far corner, how would you get them? If you have a disabled bird-how would you reach it?

3. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    The peafowl won't be comfortable in a pen nights that are 2.5' high. They want to be up on a roost nights. My pens are 10' by 30' with 8' to 9' ceilings. The roosts are a little over 5' off the ground.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    min hight should be 6 ft....the peacock with a train can be that long....

5. Tippler

Tippler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Desert Hills (PHX)
    Thanks for the replies.
    This is only to give them a roasting spot at night. By building it 7' high I can provide great protection.
    The two people I know here with Peafowl don't give them anything at all. They use tall shade fencing for roast.
    I will think things over and see what I can do. The idea here is to be simple. They will be free roaming 24/7 come next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by