HPBAA? (Heritage Poultry Breeders Association of America)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by exop, Jan 13, 2011.

1. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hi, I've only just discovered the Heritage Poultry Breeders Association of America, by way of a banner ad (was it on BYC? I can't remember now).

I'm writing to ask what you all know of the organization - how long has it been around, does anyone know somebody who is in it, general comments on its policies, reputation, etc. It looks to me like it was started recently - there is not a huge membership roster.

Very interested in any info you may be able to share.

Best regards - exop

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It is new and starting out. Like any other breed club, we have to learn as we go along!

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We are members and the group that started it have been around the poultry world for a good while now. Nice and honest folks..... Like the pp said....they do take time to get started.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG]

6. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I would love some info....(?)

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    IMO both clubs, not that much different except SPPA is well known in shows, sanctioned in some shows and been around for a good while, while the HPBAA is just starting out. Check both of them out and see what you are comfortable about.

Politics can be a big thing...one can be extreme than the other. That is why we have so many of these club sprouting up every year and not all of them would succeed.

8. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I do like the idea of an online list of breeders which is available to the public... this aspect of the HBPAA website really appealed to me. IMO such a list helps promote a list of breeds: it encourages new people to become interested in them, by removing the barriers to entry. SPPA does have a fantastic breeders' directory, but the organization takes a pre-internet approach; the breeders' directory is a static, printed document, which is distributed to those with paid membership in SPPA.

Now that there's very little cost in making a directory available to an unlimited number of people via the internet, and in keeping it updated with to-the-minute contact information, I wish that both the ALBC and the SPPA would consider putting at least some aspects of their directories online. How many members would each organization lose? How many new members would each gain? How many non-members would each organization help to acquire and keep rare breeds, and maybe develop enough of a passion to become members later? It would be an experiment worth trying out for a year.

Best - exop

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. Silver Spring Waterfowl

Silver Spring Waterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

As a new member, I am proud to be associated with this group. I will be administrating the social networking page for the HPBAA. What struck me was the welcome and acceptance I got when I joined as well as the enthusiasm of this group. The website is a wealth of information and the members are accessible. I had some questions about the history, mission and focus of the group so that I can properly represent the philosophy behind it on the social networking page and the following is an edited version of the reply I was given. I also have been a member of SPPA and the ALBC. This is the organization I recommend to my customers. It’s still small, it’s still enthusiastic, and they will not feel like a name buried in a list. Contributions of time, talent, and experience are all welcome and genuinely appreciated

From our Secretary:
    "The Founding Members of HPBAA do not get paid a dime. We contribute our time for free. All fees go directly for advertisement and upkeep of the website. We do not look to gain any profit from this site financially. We want to encourage the beginners and honor those who have paved the way before us in poultry breeding. We do not distinguish between the two as far as how they are treated as members:. Everyone is equal at HPBAA. HPBAA strives to be about communication. We hear to many times from beginners that they could not get a breeder to contact them back about obtaining birds or eggs from them. HPBAA wants out Members to respond in a timely matter to all who contact them for breeds. We do not expect our Members to sale. We simply expect them to answer truthfully about their circumstances and availability of breeds. HPBAA will not tolerate drama, deception, illegal activity with birds or eggs, or simple lack of cooperation from any of its Members or Founding Members. However, we are more about that Member being able to lay their head on their pillow at night having known in their heart that their dealings were of the utmost integrity with their buyers. Our motto is that where there is no wood, the fire will go out!"

I felt that I was Home when I read this. In a nutshell, HPBAA is about integrity, open communication, support, and sharing our experiences and passion.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The ALBC has an online directory:

http://albc-usa.org/breeddir/search.php

We have thought about joining the HPBA, but we are already spread thin with the orgs we are involved with... maybe in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by