HPV Vaccination

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    So, ducky is at that age where they want to vaccinate her and all the other girls her age with the HPV vaccination.

At this point, I am very much against it. I am looking for arguments for and against.

Please provide sources that brought you to the position you hold on this issue.

I need to have good information on which my final decision is based as I may have to debate this with my control freak ex - who is a communications consultant who does most of his work for the government - in other words, he is a spin doctor and exceptionally good at what he does, so I have to have all loopholes closed.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I am for it. The biggest thing: The vaccine can prevent cervical cancer in women, a cancer that is often a long term side effect of the the HPV virus, which if can be prevented, can reduce the chances of cancer. A large proportion of the population has the virus, and if you can stop it in the tracks now, it can be eradicated much like polio. Only instead of stopping people from getting partial paralysis, it prevents people from getting cancer. I also think boys and girls should get it as it's a two way street.

Vaccines in my opinion are a good thing and it is sad that it is not available to many countries. Thousands of kids die from things that can be vaccinated against and people in developed countries never even consider being an issue. MMR, polio, even whooping cough still kill thousands. Difference is this vaccine has the potential to protect people throughout their lives and not jut as children.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't have daughters, but if I did, they would most certainly get this vaccine. HPV can be a silent killer, the #1 cause of cervical cancer. I don't see why anyone would not want to get the vaccine if it were available to them. The types of HPV that cause cervical cancer (which the vaccine protects against) do not have many 'physical' signs (if any?).

But just a thought, does ex-hubby have to even know that she's gotten it? How old is your daughter, it's her life that the vaccine will be helping to protect. I would make this be a decision between you and her. If ex-hubby finds out later on, tell him it was a 'girl thing' and leave it at that.

Ooops, I read the rest of your post, and I assume you mean that hubby would want her to get it? What does ducky say about it? Does she understand the risks involved with getting the vaccine, as opposed to getting the disease?

I'm sure there will be many that will state that 'safe-sex' is just as good a precaution, which is a lie. The HPV virus is not only present internally in many cases, but externally as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Didn't even think of that part of it... but if your daughter chooses to have children with a man who silently carries the virus without ever knowing it, she will still be at risk, with the vaccine, the risk is decreased.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I cringe when thinking about my young daughter being sexually active but would have to agree with Silkiechicken on this and give her the option of getting it.

(glad I don't have to worry about this one)

6. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    in addition to protecting against cervical cancer (which can be symptom free until a very advanced stage), it also protects against certain HPV strains that cause genital warts. Not all of the strains that can cause warts, but nonetheless....also, when I was in high school a friend of mine discovered cervical cancer so far advanced that she had a hysterectomy to remove her cervix. So she can never have children. I did it for my daughter and talked about it with her a lot, I just felt it was the right choice for us.

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    There is currently no way to test if a man has it, which, it seems to me, puts women at even more of a risk. It bothers me to hear men who have engaged in activities assert with authority that they've been tested and they're clean, and they're totally ignorant of the fact that they could still have one of the most prevalent social diseases that may cause cervical cancer in women. Even a girl who is abstinent until marriage can't be sure that the man she marries also abstained, or even if he will one day cheat on her. I can tell you that those with HPV are very much saddened when people turn down an opportunity to take advantage of a vaccination that they never had the option of . . . a waste of a gift, really.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I was still at the University when this vaccine came out. When the Merck rep showed up for the graduating class a friend and I went and grilled the poor woman about this vaccine. Why only women? Why not men? Men are the asymptomatic carriers of some forms of HPV and infect the women so why just vaccinate women? Poor lady!

I too have a DD that is of age for this vaccine. I have been waiting to see what the long term affects are since she is not 'active' at this time nor in the near future. I want it to be her decision, but I am strongly for it since it prevents cervical cancer. Be aware that there are at least 40 different types of genital HPV and this vaccine only covers 4 of them but they are the ones that cause cervical cancer.

Good luck with your decision; I am going to be speaking with my DD's physician on Friday about the same thing!

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i didnt get this and i dont plan on it. maybe you should preach to her abstinence. im almost 20 now and proudly abstinent. but give her a choice even if you dont think she should have that choice.

10. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I appreciate your opinions, but I need cold hard facts - links to sources so I can read for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by