HPV Vaccination

The commercials that are paid advertisements for a product that stands to make lots of money.. "PRODUCT" says that it protects against the strains of HPV that cause "most types of cervical cancer." Let's disect that
big_smile.png

This is one of the biggest contraversies of our time because there are excellent points made by both sides and there are intelligent folks who support each side so diligently. All I want is to be able to make my own decision for my family when so much is on the line. I don't think the CDC cares for baby Wyatt as much as I do therefore I should be the one that decides what is best for him. And Im talking about informed decisions...

Gardasil HELPS to prevent 4 out of the 40 strains of HPV that MAY cause cervical cancer which contributes to app. 4,000 deaths per year. What the commercial does not elaborate on but the American Cancer Society does is that "Between 60% and 80% of American women with newly diagnosed invasive cervical cancer have not had a Pap smear in the past 5 years" or has NEVER had one. ...so

The ACS goes on to say:

"About 70% of all cervical cancers are caused by HPV 16 and 18."
...so app. 2800 of these deaths were caused by HPV... not 4,000. And of those 2800, 60-80% haven't been screened in at least 5 years.. that's app. 1960 (I used 70%) cases which leaves 840 deaths from cervical cancer that could have been caused by HPV and have occurred in women who have had a recent screening... 840 vs. over 4,000!!!!

"Cancer of the cervix may be prevented or detected early by regular Pap tests. If it is detected early, cervical cancer is one of the most successfully treatable cancers. In the United States, the cervical cancer death rate declined by 74% between 1955 and 1992, in large part due to the effectiveness of Pap smear screening. The death rate continues to decline each year."

The ACS goes on to say:

"Many women become infected with HPV, but very few will ever develop cervical cancer. In most cases the body's immune system fights off the virus, and the infection goes away without any treatment. In some cases, for reasons that we don't understand, the infection persists, which can cause cervical cancer. Although there is currently no cure for infection with HPV, there are ways to treat the warts and abnormal cell growth that HPV causes."

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/c...revention_and_early_detection_8.asp?sitearea=

We all know how important regular check-ups are and look at how many of these cases could've been prevented with early care as well as no-brainers like no smoking, a healthy diet and a healthy immune system... which I believe vaccines do not promote a healthy, natural immune system.

Here's another site that goes along the same lines:

"Other factors need to be present for HPV to progress to cancer. These co-factors have not been conclusively identified, but studies have found that sex at a young age, smoking cigarettes, using oral contraceptives, and deficiencies of vitamin A and folate (a B vitamin) are all associated with cervical cancer (2)."
http://www.nwhn.org/healthinfo/detail.cfm?info_id=2&topic=Fact Sheets

So now we see that HPV is a contributing factor and not necessarily a main cause. The paid advertisments tell you what they want you to hear. It is up to us as parents to do our OWN RESEARCH and make up our own minds. If your daughter smokes, is promiscuous, has a terrible diet and will never see a GYN, then I'd say go for it because the risk factors are higher for her.

...OH and here's the side effects.

Common Gardasil Side Effects
Gardasil has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common Gardasil side effects include:

Pain in the area of the injection -- occurring in up to 83.9 percent of people
Swelling in the area of the injection -- up to 25.4 percent
Redness in the area of the injection -- up to 24.6 percent
Fever -- up to 13 percent
Nausea -- up to 6.7 percent
Dizziness -- up to 4 percent
Diarrhea -- up to 3.6 percent.

Other common side effects with Gardasil that were reported in more than 1 percent of women include, but are not limited to:

Vomiting
Cough
Toothache
General ill feeling
Joint pain
Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
Stuffy nose.
Gardasil Side Effects to Report
There are several side effects of Gardasil that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:

Very high fever
Signs of an allergic reaction, including difficulty breathing, wheezing, an unusual skin rash, itching, or hives.

Rare Gardasil Side Effects
There are other Gardasil side effects that can occur. These side effects happen in very few patients taking Gardasil. For these side effects, it is difficult to tell whether the side effect is because of Gardasil or something else.

Some of these rare Gardasil side effects include, but are not limited to: (What does that mean... are they leaving out the whole DEATH thing ..because there have been rare side effect that include DEATH)
Headaches
Gastroenteritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, usually involving vomiting or diarrhea
Appendicitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the appendix
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which is an infection or inflammation in the pelvic area that can lead to infertilty and other problems
Asthma or bronchospasms (airway spasms).

This vaccine has only been out a short time and there are even cases of death!! http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=68454
Here's the youtube video from CBS News http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfU6y6KhEOI

Yeah
, why would anyone choose not to vaccinate??? They must be nuts like me

The CDC is "closely monitoring the safety of gardisil" and are reporting adverse reactions to the VAERS website (a control website that monitor adverse reactions to all vaccines) Does that mean that our daughters are the guinea pigs?

Last edited:
I agree with msbear! I didn't give it to my daughter. It only gaurds against 3 strands and there are many. I think it has not been out long enough and would rather not let Britt be a tester for long term effects.

Early detection with yearly PAP tests can prevent cervical cancer. Trust me i know, i have had 3 LEAP procedures to treat HPV. So if i had that shot given to me would it protect me? probally not since their are so many strands. The key to NOT getting HPV is using a condom. That is the only way not to get it. Not one single strand of HPV can be transmitted by using a condom.

Now i open another door, it can be transmitted orally and in the rectum. I know, gross but not everyone is straight if you catch my drif.

I teach my kids to use condoms! I am lucky cause i have not had one actually have to use one.....LOL My daughter is saving herself but we all know how that goes. So then if she is older and chooses to get the vaccine , then she can. That is her choice~ But in a day with AIDS & HIV people MUST use protection and it aint in a shot!

i think it gives you a false sense of protection!

Last edited:
I had HPV and suffered through many painful procedures over the course of 10 years, eventually leading to a hysterectomy. The disease and treatments are not only physically painful, they are emotionally painful as well. My DD was 17 when this vaccine came out and I made sure she got it. She had no reactions to the vaccine whatsoever, and I felt if there's a chance she can be spared the pain I've been through, then it is well worth it.

raises hand

I chose to get the vaccine. I go back in November to get the last shot. It's given in three stages -- first, wait two months, second, wait FOUR months, third & final.

Many people have already posted links about the vaccine, so I'll just tell you my personal opinion. I'm very picky about what I put in my body as far as vaccines go, sometimes there are more negative effects than there are positive. I read and read and read before I finally decided to get the vaccine. Maybe you should let her read about it for herself?

I wish my 20 year old DD would have gotten it. But shes afraid of needles and said no. I'm scared for her. And its not that she sleeps around, but you never know who the guy has been with.

Quote:
This is our stance on it. We do preach abstinence and our daughter knows that when the time comes she has the choice to get the vaccine or not. By that time then there will be more evidence in about the long term effects of it. About a year or two ago there were a few teen deaths that were attributed to the vaccine. There was nothing definate proven only to say that there was a link and it needed to be further investigated. I have heard nothing else on it since then. I have 3 daughters, 18, 9 and 3. I will not force them to get the vaccine. I will educate each and every one of them when it's time and then let them make that decision for themselves.
smile.png
I myself will not get the vaccine. I get the yearly exams and if something shows up then we will deal with it. As said earlier it does not prevent many of the strains that are out there, only a few of them. The only protection that is proven, is abstinence and a condom. I do agree that there needs to be more development in the area of detecting it in males and to focus on coming up with a form of prevention/treatment for them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I refused to get it, because a) it is a new vaccine and hasn't been thoroughly tested b) hpv is an STD, so there is no way I am going to get it, and c) I heard that it is a very painful injection.

my doctor tried to get my mom to convince me, but instead we teamed up against her
lol.png
but now every time I have a check up she tries to give it to me, cuz she still seems to think she'll be able to convince me
roll.png

Quote:
Using condoms does not guarantee that you won't get HPV. As I stated in an earlier post, HPV is not always internal, it can be external as well. So unless you are using female condoms (do they even make those anymore?), you are still at risk of contractin HPV. And what about after your daughter gets married? Whose to say that her husband doesn't have it? Do you expect her to continue using condoms (that aren't 100% effective against HPV anyway) while she is married?

If I had a daughter I wouldnt have her get it. A coworkers daughter is still suffering the effects of this vaccine she got over a year ago. She had temporarty paralysis, and still has seizures. She was in perfect health before the vaccine. It has not been around long enough and Merck pushed it heavily when it came out as they were the sole provider of it and the profits from it. If I had a daughter, I would just make sure she is tested for HPV regularly if she is sexually active. Cervical Cancer is not all that common in the first place and this vaccine only covers 4 types of HPV. Your daughter is still very young.. there is time to get it in a few years when there has been more time for it to be tested. I contracted HPV when I was 25 from a boyfriend, it was treated and I'm 43 now with no adverse affects. HPV is not necessarily the kiss of death they are making it out to be. Im not saying there is no risk... but I dont think the risk is great enough to justify this vaccine for young girls.
The percentage of woman who contract Cervical cancer is very low compared to many cancers... it's just not that common and is REALLY uncommon under the age of 20. Guardasil is only effective for 5years.. then you get boostered. I guess I just don't understand why young girls of age 12 are getting this vaccine..seems like the risk is minimal until they are older. Why pump them up with meds that early?

JMO.....

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom