1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HR 1388 = Obama's Brownshirts?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by foweler, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foweler

foweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Looks scary to me, indoctrinating young people in a mandatory volunteer program (what's that).

They will be GIVEen basic civil defense training and required 10 hours of re indoctrination each year.

Won't they be activated by FEMA, the group currently sprucing up some 800 "facilities" around the nation that bear a striking resemblance to modern day concentration camps?

Maybe I'm just a kook, but this is getting scarier every day.

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's something I've been saying for years. I think education for all children right up through trade school or college should be free BUT I also think that kids should know they owe that education to their community and their country. To do that I think they should provide SOME service to their community. So many of these kids are out getting into trouble because they're bored and unsupervised. Let's provide them with some activities that promote pride in their surroundings and introduce them to the people who live in their neighborhoods. It's a lot harder to paint graffiti on a wall in a park if you spent 40 hours cleaning it up. You're not going to want to go break in Mrs. Jones's house if you helped her rake her yard and paint her porch last summer. I don't believe there is anything more dangerous than that being proposed and I like the basic concept of community service.

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    the sense of obligation to the government for anything is a dangerous thing. the government has an obligation to us, not the other way around.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    This kind of incendiary, nasty speech is a real problem. When anybody progressive does it on here, the mods slap it down fairly fast, as appropriate. What about when it's on the right?

Using the term "brownshirts" (fascist youth for Hitler) is ridiculous, whether you are for against this particular program as proposed by the duly elected President of our nation. btw, it is a bipartisan initiative.

Also btw my family lived and died in concentration camps for a few years. Please don't bandy the term around for your own use. FEMA is in no way setting up "concentration camps."

Discuss the program if you like; that's your right. Please don't use inflammatory rhetoric here on our beloved BYC to either threaten our natins' duly elected President or to demean the real history of fascism.

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in a rural area, worked in the local school cafeteria for 16+ years, and I always did think mandatory military or peace corp service was a good idea. So many of the kids in our area end up with alcohol, drug or young parent issues, a year or two out in the real world might have helped them make better choices . . .as long as its done right, with the right direction in mind, I don't see this as a way to control the country in another way. Youth needs a helping hand these days; you all know parents who drop the ball and stop raising their kids. . .my husband and i raised 5, never hung out in bars,never cheated on each other, ate supper together 95% of the time, and we still had some serious issues with some of them . . . so there is no guarantee. . .

6. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Huh?

Yes, please remove this entire thread. This isn't the place.

Edited - OMG, did you just compare FEMA facilities to concentration camps? Now, I AM offended. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well said chickie.

Flopshot, we have an obligation to our country. That includes ensuring that our government has what it needs to run properly (including being questioned and overseen properly). Saying that we have no obligation to our government brings to mind a picture of someone sitting on their front porch complaining about how awful everything is and how no one is doing to right thing to fix it, all the while expecting handouts. Because our government is run "by the people and for the people," saying we have no obligation to our government is IMO like saying we have no obligation to the other members of our society.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    [​IMG]

9. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

What a cute smiley!! Icky, but cute!

10. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    What is the difference in that and involuntary servitude? No one should be forced to do work for the government. The government works for us. We got rid of slavery once. Forcing our young people to do the governments work for some small pay is no better than forcing the children of slaves to work for shelter and food.

But if they must force someone then how about the people that have been living off welfare instead of gettng a job? Make them work. Not people that can not work but those that just won't work. I say let the checks be earned.

ETA Not trying to make anyone mad with the slavery comment. I'm mad at the system for many things and the census worker being mean to my dogs really makes me angry. I love my dogs.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by