Huastec chicks

familypendragon

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
DFW Metroplex in North Texas
I have tried twice to hatch my own and out of two batches of eggs only two out of 40 actually made it. USPS smashed or scrambled most of the rest. I have one Huastec and may be trading the Colloncas I hatched for another Huastec. But I have no idea on the gender of either and really need some more for breeding. I didn't know what price to list. I'd really love to buy as many as I can afford so I can help preserve this historically important breed. Please PM me or email at [email protected] if you have any available and can ship or are local to me (fat chance I know) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas so I could pick them up. If you aren't as far away as Yashar in Massachusetts I might give shipped eggs one more try though I hate to go through that again.

Thanks so much,

Melissa

Here are my little Huastec and Colloncas

Hi I will be able to help you out when it warms up Yashar has sent me his breeding flock to take care of. I think with the Huastec chicks might be the way to go as their eggs seem like they are harder to hatch when shipped. I have so.e in the in the incubator now testing viableity .These were laid on the trip to my house so I cannot guantee if they are full blood but cannot imagine Yashar not saying if they were not. I have them in a seperate pen so I know who is breeding who.I live in SW OK almost to TX are the panhandle not sure where you are but might be closer. I would like to ask you a question I hope it does not offend you but so many people are getting these birds and breeding to any other breed the purpose of the person who is importimg them for someone to keep the breed pure and not become extinct. I am in contact with someone who has a flock of Huastecs that are of a different line so we can keep the birds pure and not inbreed them. I did not mean to offend you I just need to know at this stage there are not alot pure ones left and saying that they are a landrace so there is no right or wrong color. An

Hi I will be able to help you out when it warms up Yashar has sent me his breeding flock to take care of. I think with the Huastec chicks might be the way to go as their eggs seem like they are harder to hatch when shipped. I have so.e in the in the incubator now testing viableity .These were laid on the trip to my house so I cannot guantee if they are full blood but cannot imagine Yashar not saying if they were not. I have them in a seperate pen so I know who is breeding who.I live in SW OK almost to TX are the panhandle not sure where you are but might be closer. I would like to ask you a question I hope it does not offend you but so many people are getting these birds and breeding to any other breed the purpose of the person who is importimg them for someone to keep the breed pure and not become extinct. I am in contact with someone who has a flock of Huastecs that are of a different line so we can keep the birds pure and not inbreed them. I did not mean to offend you I just need to know at this stage there are not alot pure ones left and saying that they are a landrace so there is no right or wrong color. An
Oh, nothing offensive in anything you said my friend! That is wonderful news :) I want to breed pure, but not till Spring at least. We have a mystery illness going on here and I have been working with TX A & M on identifying it. I will not introduce any new birds till I am 100% sure this is all over and all safe. So far my one Collonca and one Huastec have made it through unscathed thank goodness. Certain breeds seem more susceptible like the Isbars, bredas and Crested Cream Legbars. So far my Ameraucanas and most heritage breeds seem immune to whatever it is.

Oh, nothing offensive in anything you said my friend! That is wonderful news :) I want to breed pure, but not till Spring at least. We have a mystery illness going on here and I have been working with TX A & M on identifying it. I will not introduce any new birds till I am 100% sure this is all over and all safe. So far my one Collonca and one Huastec have made it through unscathed thank goodness. Certain breeds seem more susceptible like the Isbars, bredas and Crested Cream Legbars. So far my Ameraucanas and most heritage breeds seem immune to whatever it is.
How has hunt for whatever it is that is killing your poor birds going? I know it has to be horrible to lose so many not just the emotional but the time and money that is put into a flock. I hope you get it figured out. I will have Huastecs chicks or eggs when you get ready

Huastec hatched 9/14

Hello grannychicks55
I've finally pieced together perhaps where the flock went. Hehehe, I too would be very interested in preserving these breeds as well. Please put me on a list for the Huastecas, Colloncas, and Sweet Potato Quechuas too. If you have more of Yashar's breeds than perhaps later I'd add them too.
Thanks so much.
Gloryblue

Last edited:
Hello. I'm interested as well. I am just starting out and want chickens that will lay for a long time (not light manipulated. Just however nature prompts them too) because my girls and I are vegan and would keep these chickens until they die of natural causes. The Huastecs and Quechua's seem perfect since I live New York. Need them winter hardy and able to escape predators.

Back
Top Bottom