Hubbard Chick En Egg Concentrate?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Azriel, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I have found a local mill that I can get this product at, but have a few questions if any one is useing this. The mixing instructions just say to mix it with corn, I have my own oats and barley, and would like to use them, could I mix equal parts corn, oats, & barley with the concentrate or will it only work just useing corn. If anyone is useing this what is your grain mix, and do you grind your grains.
    Thanks for any info.

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I would think you could mix it with any grain you wanted. Corn is probably what it recommends because corn is the cheapest. I've never used it, but have a general idea of what it is.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I use Hubbard Chick En Egg Concentrate and its not bad, there is one thing I dislike about it and that is it does not have animal proteins in it like Buckeye Nutrition has in there's so I have to add meat meal to the Hubbard Chick En Egg Concentrate to make it up.

I keep a good amount of corn in the feed as a high energy source then supplement with other grains.
    A example would be like 16% grower feed,
    Corn 650 lbs
    Oats 100 lbs
    Concentrate 250 lbs
    Total weight 1000 lbs

If you are feeding layers you can go with below mix it will give you a 18% layer,
    Corn 500 lbs
    Oats 100 lbs
    Concentrate 350 lbs
    Calcium Carbonate 50 lbs
    Total weight 1000 lbs

I have all grains medium ground so that the chickens don't pick out all the grain and leave the Concentrate.

Chris

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My local mill grinds the Hubbard concentrate feed for me. They also use a sack exchange program, which I find interesting. Bring your sack(s) back and there is no 50 cent per bag fee. It is just that kind of basic, no frill, but awesome place. Great pricing and good service. It is run by an Amish family.

Chris, the thing that stumps me is that my tag says it DOES contain animal protein, by-products and such. I'm a bit mystified by that actually. The Hubbard website makes no mention of animal protein. This may be a local peculiarity, I just don't know.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Fred's Hens :

Chris, the thing that stumps me is that my tag says it DOES contain animal protein, by-products and such. I'm a bit mystified by that actually. The Hubbard website makes no mention of animal protein. This may be a local peculiarity, I just don't know.

Your mill may me adding animal proteins in it.
    On the tag of the concentrate that I get there is no listing of animal proteins, I wish it did.

Now Buckeye has Porcine Meat Meal and Animal Fat in it and we've been thinking real hard about talking to the mill that we use about getting a skid of the Buckeye 40% Poultry Concentrate for us just so that we don't have to buy and add the animal proteins in it.

Buckeye 40% Poultry Concentrate Hubbard Chick N Egg Concentrate

Crude Protein, min. 40.00% Crude Protein, min 38%
    Lysine, min. 2.25% Lysine, min 2.20%
    Methionine, min 0.80% Methionine, min 0.86%
    Crude Fat, min. 3.00% Crude Fat, min 1%
    Crude Fiber, max. 6.00% Crude Fiber, max 6%
    Calcium, min. 2.80% Calcium (Ca), min 3.50%
    Calcium, max. 3.35% Calcium (Ca), max 4.50%
    Phosphorus, min. 1.60% Phosphorus (P), min 1.60%
    Salt, min. 0.60% Salt (NaCl), min 1%
    Salt, max. 1.10% Salt (NaCl), max 1.50%

Chris​

6. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Thank you both for the info. Over the winter I was thinking of getting the animal protein extra and having that mixed in also, but I think in the summer when they free range they get enough bugs that they may not need the extra animal protein.
    I don't think that Buckeye is available here, but I might see if the mill can get it. I like the higher fat due to the cold winter weather we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by