Hubbard squash

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Jul 30, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I like to plant something completely different (for me) in the garden every so often. This years subject was Hubbard squash. Planted them outside the garden fence in the hope that the deer would leave them alone (the did) as they do gourds and the like. The vine on this one was dying back and I rolled it over a little to look at the bottom and the stem snapped right off. So, we have a Hubbard squash.

Any suggestions on preserving, recipes, "feed it to the chickens"?

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Bake it whole, or bake it split in two with the seed removed. Salt,pepper, brown sugar to taste.

It freezes wonderfully. Just allow to cool, scoop into freezer bag. Tastes great with Thanksgiving dinner.

3. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Hubbard is a 'winter' squash. It will keep just fine in the pantry in a cool dark place till you are ready to use it. You can use it any way you would use pumpkin or butternut squash like in pies, etc. If you like winter squash you will love the Hubbard. I think they are cool looking and yummy tasting.

Here's a whole bunch of recipes....

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,hubbard_squash,FF.html

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I grew Rouge vif D'Etampe/Cinderella pumpkins last year
    Huge (30#) sweet pumpkins that dressed out around 5# of flesh per squash.

I froze the pumpkin (nuked the pumpkins cut in microwaveable chunks, then scooped the flesh) and it kept beautifully.

I just tried this recipe & it came out really good:

http://www.food.com/recipe/warp-speed-pumpkin-butter-53751

I'm sure it will work with your Hubbard too.

5. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I had visions of peeling this thing and cutting it into chunks to cook. That's not happening, thought I was going to have to get an axe to get it into quarters. It's roasting in the oven now. Smells good.
    [​IMG]

6. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    An axe......heh heh.....yup it's that super hard shell that preserves winter squash. We would harvest them and tuck them in cool dark places like closets or under the beds to keep during the fall and winter months. They keep like crazy this way and you can have fresh tasty squash dishes and pies and soups and stews all winter long.

7. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    It tastes pretty good, I roasted it without any seasoning because I wanted the option of sweet or savory. Vacuum sealed two bags and put into the freezer. Have some for dinner tonight.

What I'm really trying to think of is an hors d'oeuvres idea for this afternoon.
    Reheat and cook down a little more in some butter, mash it up, spread on a toasted piece of french bread and put some pepper jelly on top?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by