1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hubbie on way to PO to pick up our chicks! (Update, Pics on pg 2)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Mar 2, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    I've been so worried this morning, what with the weather up north and all...not knowing exactly when they would get here. We ordered 25 Pullets from the Ornamental Collection from McMurray. Judging from what you guys have said, I took it they were shipped Saturday. Our Post lady just called and says she has them!!!! Yeah!!

Fingers crossed they all did ok, it's really cold here! (for Florida) So, I can only imagine what they have been through on their journey. Husband knows to do the sugar-water thing and turned on the Heat Lamp as he walked out the door.

Our brooder is a kids swimming pool, newspaper taped down on the bottom with layers of paper towels on top....sitting on the kitchen table. [​IMG]

I'll report back after I get his report, as I am at work.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Congrats on your babies. Mine were also shipped from MM on Saturday but they didn't come this morning [​IMG] Hopefully tomorrow.

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Oh that is so exciting!! They are always so fun. It will be interesting as they grow, figuring out what kinds they are! Assortments are fun.

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    How exciting! I hope they all made it ok!

5. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Chicks [​IMG] love them I recently got mine

6. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    They're home and peeping their little heads off. One is very weak, hubbie does not expect it to survive. [​IMG] But such is life is I guess. He did get it to drink a little but it is very weak. The others are doing great.

He said several have cotton balls on their heads, Polish? And others are I quote, "weird looking." LOL

He is using a point-and-shoot thermometer to monitor the temps in the Brooder. He about died laughing when they started chasing the laser dot the thermometer makes. [​IMG]

He'll be sending pics shortly and I'll pass them on. Man! I want go home and play with my chicks not work!!!

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yeah For You!!!! I hope the little one makes it! You'll know more when you get home and see how it does after it's got some water and heat. You know we'd love some Pictures!!! [​IMG]

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!! [​IMG]

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    YAY!!! I've got 25 Bantam BO due to arrive on Wed from Ideal. My first order of live chicks, too. [​IMG]

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, those would be the Polish! We got one with our order from MM two years ago and she's alive and well today, freezing her butt off in the snow! [​IMG] It sounds like they didn't mess up on your part, so you'll be happy when them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by