Hubby and I finished my Incubator!! Wanna see?

Wanted to add it's not the first page that pops up. It's the homemade incubator page at the top above my introduction.

Looks great! I think you will need to add some breather holes that can be corked somewhere. The chicks need oxygen even when inside the eggs. What kind of thermostat are you using?

Sweet! Love the cupholders. They will come in handy when you are hovering over it all night peering through the window.
woot.gif

nice incubator. I have been "thinking" about building one, but have yet to convince myself. Are you planning on incubating now or waiting until spring? BTW, that is one awesome lil SUPERVISOR you have there!

Quote:
Actually there are two breather holes in the first two cupholders, I didn't get them in the picture. I am having trouble getting the temp to stay at 99.5. It gets there, stays for a while, and slowly drops. Then thermostat pops back on and it climbs bak up there. I added a jar of water to see if that would help. Should I set it a touch higher? Oh, btw its a lowe's water heater thermostat..it cost about $9. But hubbys really getting into it know, he says you want an alarm system on it? How about battery back up? Timer/strobe light? lol he loves to show off...

Quote:
It is sooooo tempting to hatch eggs now, but I want to make sure the incubator works flawlessly. Plus I need a place to put chooks and it is heading into deep winter up here...I'd put them in my bedroom with me but hubby WILL protest. I just built it now because when I start something I don't stop...

Quote:
Actually there are two breather holes in the first two cupholders, I didn't get them in the picture. I am having trouble getting the temp to stay at 99.5. It gets there, stays for a while, and slowly drops. Then thermostat pops back on and it climbs bak up there. I added a jar of water to see if that would help. Should I set it a touch higher? Oh, btw its a lowe's water heater thermostat..it cost about $9. But hubbys really getting into it know, he says you want an alarm system on it? How about battery back up? Timer/strobe light? lol he loves to show off...

I messed around with all kinds of water heater thermostats and fish aquarium heater thermostats. The fish aquarium thermostats kept it to within a degree during a cycle but would slowly creep up over time. The water heater thermostats swung up and down too much during each cycle. Finally I bought a Zilla reptile thermostat. This thing is rock solid with only .4 degrees between high and low. I did not have to fiddle with it in the least during this hatch. I think it was $40 at petco. Well worth the money.

Here is a link to a thermostat that have been used in incubators and brooder for many years. cost 29.95.

I think this is the most important part of any incubator. Others do work, in you case just dont let it go to high, thats the killer even with lower temp you will get a hatch, but the better temp. control the better the hatch.

http://www.rockytopgen.com/catalog/incubatorbrooderparts.html

Back
Top Bottom