hubby built me an incubator today :) opinions and suggestions please:)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MSH, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so my sweet sweet hubby built me this incubator today becauseI was talking about how I didn't know how my staggered hatch was going to work out with just one working incubator [​IMG] let me know what ya'll think and any suggestions ya'll have [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more pictures once the phone charges more the m&m thing was the kids fan idea lol [​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

does it hold temp and humidity? looks good so far. is it ganna be used just for hatching? if so u may want to put something in the bottom for the chicks to get there footing on

3. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    so far it's doing great just got it plugges in 1 hour ago but the temp. is up to 96.8 and the humidity has gone from 30 to 55 right now it's all coming up pretty good so far it's doing great lol I'm going to put a thick layer of paper towels down over the bottom so that it's somewhat easier to clean and they can stand easier than on the styrofoam sp? lol [​IMG] I'm just excited he did it he doesn't really like me hatching and brooding the chicks in the back room lol or so he says he can't resist sneaking in and looking lol

4. stephanie1992

that was nice of him to do. [​IMG] is the light high enough so the chicks cant touch it

5. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    yea I checked the light it's fine plus they will only be in there long enough to get fluffy then out to the brooder [​IMG] it seems the glass is a little finicky about any breezes though so I'm looking for a way to insulate it

6. stephanie1992

Quote:hope it works out for u [​IMG] keep posting and let us know how it works

7. MSH

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    well we laid some stuff on one side of the glass top and the temp went up to 106 so now we took it back off I'm thinking more air holes and just use more sponges to keep the humidity up any ideas if that will work ?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I think air holes and sponges will work fine.

9. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    read up on dry incubation.

that way you only need to focus on temp.

good luck

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Actually I do dry incubation and since I have been doing it my hatches have been near or at 100%. I do put a little moisture in the incubator but the eggs also give off some moisture too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by