1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hubby cracked 2 eggs on day 16- any hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clarkestep, Jun 9, 2008.

1. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    :mad: DH has been turning my eggs for me as I've had to be away for a few days. He accidently bumped the incubator and didn't tell me. I come home this afternoon to find 2 of my eggs cracked. At first I thought maybe they were piping, but it is too early. One egg looks like the crack is a pea-sized circle with a long line extending from it (going big end to small end of egg) That's what made me call DH and ask.

I read somewhere on here that I can melt candle wax and seal the cracks? I hope that's correct because that's what I did. Will they probably die? I candled them and all I can see is an air sack. The rest of the egg is really dark.

Thanks!

JC

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I melted some crayon on one of mine that had a good size crack on day 14 a week later it hatched just fine. Good luck

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You can certainly try it, but how long have they been cracked? Problem is they probably lost thier moisture content. I have never hatched so I can't tell you, just wait and see I guess.

So sorry...

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You can use candle wax or tape them. Give it a try what do you have to loose.

5. clarkestep

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Thank you for the quick replies! I think they got cracked this morning. There was no liquid oozing out of them so I don't think any of the membrane was torn.

Now if they had been piped, would the hole be where the air sack is or down below? Theses cracks were below the air sack.

JC

6. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    It must be Husbands Mess Up Eggs Day. I was out all day so my dh cooled my duck eggs and sprayed them with water. That was what I had asked. He also took it upon himself to candle them, called me and told me he thought they were dead. So I was all upset all the way home, came in, put the kids to bed and went immediately to check on them and they were upside down! I righted them, candled them, and so far they are fine. I sure hope yours are, too.

7. clarkestep

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    I just candled all 15 of my eggs. Two look like duds as they don't look anything like all the others. Mostly clear with a yolk sized blob. They're white eggs so I see everything perfectly.

The 2 cracked ones are alive and kicking! Oh and like a dope, I dropped my flashlight into the incubator and nicked yet another one. This time it is on the end of the air sack. Put wax on it, too, and will see what happens. I suppose it will just be easier for this little one to get out.

I'm so excited. Now, off to find out if I stop turning at the start of day 18 or at the end. See ya!

JC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by