Hubby Killed a possum this morning!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shellybean40, Jun 4, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I went out to water and feed and let out the girls and something ran up the wire to the roof of my chicken run. I thought it was a huge rat (heebie jeebies), but turned out it was a small possum. it played possum up there and I called DH. He asked me, do you want me to kill it? HECK YEA! This is a future predator in our yard! He got his pellet gun and it was dead in less than a minute. HA!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    No pics?

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    no, sorry. I was in a hurry to get DH and DD out the door to a fishing tournament. We have already disposed of the nasty little creature. Next time, I will take pics.

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them live, they eat rats and other things you don't want around your house and coop. Just wire up your coop/run better with hardware wire and they won't be able to reach in a hurt any chix. I have changed my mind about possiums and thought the way you are thinking and have trapped and killed 4 of them along with 2 raccoons, but unless you want to constantly trap and kill everything, it's better and way less hassle to just wire up the coop/run in a way that protects your flock.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Possums that venture near or into our buildings die. They carry a disease that can be fatal to horses. I have cats for rodent control, and if I didn't have them, there's good ol' D-con.

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good job! No mercy! Now, find how it got in and fix it, you may not be as lucky next time.

7. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    Normally I'm not a fan of the kill it if it moves mentality, but some populations simply cannot be harmed by culling for "intelligence". Or lack there of, depending on how you look at it. [​IMG] Possums, skunks, racoons and foxes carry so many zoonotic diseases and can be so durn clever at killing livestock that it's hard for even me to rationalize not shooting between the glow spots. (This coming from the woman who got clawed attempting to snap the neck of a crow she found eating the head of her favorite chick.) I'm glad you found it before it killed and taught it's young to come back to your farm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by