Hubby made my babies a roost today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TerryQui, Jun 18, 2011.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    They were starting to roost on a tiny low to the ground perch that I use for baby green cheeks.
    So I asked Mike to make me something that they can grow into a bit.
    He did a great job. We both know that a bigger one is in order when these guys are full size, but it will give them something to play on.

[​IMG]

They are one week old now. I have silkies in the incubator also. [​IMG] I am truly enjoying Chickens!!!

[​IMG]

2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Tell your hubby nice handyman work--and how adorable chicks-- you also take amazing pics....

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    how old are they? when do they start to roost? mine are a week old and I was thinking that they might like a low perch a couple inches up... please advise me ... oh, and is there anything you can do at this young age for their entertainment? thanks

4. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Ugh and here I thought I had it going on with the 2 sticks I put in my brooder......you are putting me to shame! lol

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:Mine is a strip of wood nailed to two logs from the woodpile! Hey, if it works, it works! Not nearly as pretty as the OP's though. [​IMG]

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Mine is a strip of wood nailed to two logs from the woodpile! Hey, if it works, it works! Not nearly as pretty as the OP's though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I built a small one for our chicks too....they LOVE it. Our EE is on it constantly and I caught our BO sleeping on it already. I had a stick from the yard in mine at first too but it fell one day and I felt like I had to do something more sturdy. I'll have to see if the next one can be more like a ladder, that is AWESOME [​IMG]

This is my FAR less impressive one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:I am fairly new to this but I am getting the impression that there is always something else to add [​IMG]

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I borrowed three good-sized logs from the woodpile and put them in the pen. They're used for climbing on, sitting on, pecking at, and fighting over - oh, and roosting occasionally.

10. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Hi, they are one week old, same as yours. They were perching on a low perch today. It was two inches high. The back perch on this one is not high, so maybe they will use it tonight.
    As for entertainment, I am new to this too, but mine are pretty entertaining to each other and peck everything in sight. I think it will be a bit more entertaining when I go get them some grit and start giving them meal worms to hunt. lol:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by