Hubby picking on me for being "scared" of rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenichick, Nov 28, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    We had two roosters one started attacking me and then both. We re-homed the aggressive one and left DH's favorite a buttercup roo. Well last night we go to take our 6 baby standards out into the run in there dog crate and it's dark outside and in the run except for the light we had on in the coop. I kept looking for buttercup and watching my back, and because I have a contrast deficiency from Lasik surgery, I don't see well in the dark at all.

Hubby got to picking, saying I was scared of a little 'ol chicken, that I shouldn't be so afraid. I reminded him that both roosters attacked me and that if buttercup ever does the way Waldo did, that I might "accidently" kill him in defense and that he'd be broken hearted and I'll feel like crap because I killed a chicken. So now he's says "don't let that chicken get cha now" ha ha ha ha [​IMG]

I said I'm just like to know where he is and I can't see him in the dark, he ran out of the coop standing guard at the door and I kept saying "where's he at".....

Maybe I am a chicken...... [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Tell DH to cool it! My rooster has been great with very minimal problems but, I still don't trust him. They can attack at least they are small and don't tromple you like a bull! [​IMG]

3. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Yep, roosters attacking is no joke! While I've never been attacked myself, it doesn't look to fun.

Don't see well in the dark. Sounds like a flashlight is in order!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Don't feel too bad JC! When our little grey hen had her clutch of babies, she would run after my wife any time she came around. Then, she would run after her any time she saw her(even if she was far off) because she knew my wife was scared of her. Then, even the chicks would run after my wife and she was scared of them too! They were only 3 wk old bantys and they were chasing my wife! It was hilarious!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    JC, where's your imagination girlfriend? Surely there's got to be something DH is afraid of? I've known burly men that run at the sight of a little bitty spider. Anyhow, think hard on what DH is afraid of and then either buy or fashion one outta something and leave it where hubby is sure to find it. Bet ya won't be getting the roo jives anymore. [​IMG]

6. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    has he ever been spurred? i have, it SUCKS. if i had a rooster i thought might do that to me, i'd be paranoid too.

(it was my neighbor's bird who spurred me with no provocation. a coon ate him a few weeks later. darn, i hate that. [​IMG] )

7. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Royicus, I need a 4D Maglight with an LED upgrade........ya know where I can get one cheap? I'll use it for sure!

Gritsar, Well guess what, DH the big burly man that he is..........is deathly afraid of snakes (he'll even kill a garden snake), and he doesn't care for slugs at all. We have a slug eating boxer that will drag slug remains into the house, it bout makes hubby puke, and I laugh! I think I'll be gettin me a garden snake for the barn...or a slug for his truck seat....woooaahhhhaaaaa!

OHchick, he's never been spurred, but I have a feeling if it were him, I would be coming home to chicken soup!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    This website has excellent info. on dealing with a roo. After mine began challenging me and then eventually a small attack, I found this site, put the information into practice, and I haven't had an issue since:

http://www.homestead.com/shilala/roosters.html

9. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    That was a good article. Very informative, soup is good, eye doctors are bad! This current rooster hasn't attacked me yet, because I usually show dominance over him when I go into the run when I can see. It's when I'm not looking or can't see him I am more vigilant because the last one attacked me when I relaxed or turned by back and he was VERY fast!

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah, that's nerve wracking, for sure. The attack I got was from behind, and it was dusk. But I honestly will say that since I've beeing doing what the article says to do, I'm never nervous any longer - not in the dark, or when I have my back to him. Maybe it's just that my confidence has gone up and he knows it! I dunno. But, I was determined to do whatever it took (within reason!) to make it work...truth be told, if it HADN'T worked, I'd have gotten rid of him. It's funny, because I was supposed to get all pullets. I split my order with someone else, we got 25 together, I got 7....and I got a roo. THEY got 19 pullets. Sigh. That's my luck! But, now that I have Maurice, I'm sure glad of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by