Hubby went to the auction.....

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Hubby was supposed to help a friend take two baby holsteins (a calf and a heifer) to the local auctionhouse - one didn't make it to the auction.....
P0002663.jpg

So we spent all day building a corral for the little buggar, since the horse fencing didn't quite keep her in.

My weird rooster (we call him Urkel) loved the baby before she was moved out of the horse barn into her new digs. He followed her everywhere. We're building her a lean-to tomorrow, so she can get out of the weather.

Oh, we named her Snot Blossom (hubby told me I couldn't name her Rump Roast - even if that IS what she is for, LOL eventually).

Peace -
Meriah

My hubby and I have been going back and forth for months (years really) about raising a beef calf for meat. He really wants to do it and I'm certainly not against it BUT... I just know I'll fall in love and cry rivers when the deed has to be done. I don't know how our children will handle it even though they are true country kids and understand that chickens and cows and pigs, etc. are for eating. They get very attached to our animals also.

We're safe right now as we don't have proper fencing for a calf anyway and no money to put up a proper fence.

I grew up with Holsteins (my relatives all had them as they have a huge dairy farm) - wonderful, sweet cows. We had one that followed my Aunt everywhere on the farm - they didn't even pen her up. She was like a little puppy.

How cute! Congrats on your new addition.

Auctions can be "dangerous" places and I'm not just talking livestock auctions. There's an estate auction being held the end of this month close to us. The lady is selling her farm and moving out of state. Besides all the household stuff, the lady has for sale a donkey, a pony, a goat, some geese and a cochin chicken.
My SO says he is going to trust me to go to this auction alone, since he'll be working that day...silly man! Silly, silly man!
gig.gif

I also agree....if that is a little heifer...keep her for the milk. She would be worth milk more than meat. If you want meat get a little steer.
Shes beautiful BTW!
big_smile.png

The problem is, if I keep her for milk, I need to breed her, and I don't know many folks around here, and haven't had a cow since I was 9 years old. LOL So I really have no idea where to have her bred (or how much it would cost, etc...)

Anyone have any ideas about how I would find a breeder?

Peace -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom