Hubby's B-day gift! *Added Pic!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by watchdogps, Sep 12, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I wasn't really after ducks, but hubby really likes them, and since he allows me so many critters, I guess I can let him have some too. So, I answered an ad on CL for some freebie ducklings. They are muscovy/runner crosses. Does this make them mules? How does that work? Does anyone else have this cross and if so, can you share some pics? I will try to get some pics up soon, right now I have to go try to set their pen up where he won't see it for two days, his b-day isn't till Weds!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yay for ducklings!!! [​IMG] yes, anything crossed with a 'scovie will give you sterile offspring, but I bet they'll be CU-UTE!!!!!

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    That's interesting. I didn't know that....

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I can't wait to see the pictures. Yes, they will be sterile. Females may be able to lay eggs, though. But, you don't have to worry about getting overrun with ducks and ducklings.

5. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    they actually look a lot like your avater right now, desertdarlene! The muscovy hens were black and white pied, and the runners were white. These are dark, but there is patterning on them, they arent a solid black.
    Does anyone know if the muscovy caruncling is dominant? I'd really be perfectly happy if they didnt get it...

6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I thought I'd let you know mules only live for about a year before they die.....

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:That duckling in my avatar is a cayuga-mallard duckling that hatched this year. He's was at an awkward phase at that time, about two to three weeks old. He grew up beautifully!

I don't think the mules get all that much carnuncling.

I hope they live longer than a year. [​IMG]. I don't know anyone who's had any (except here on BYC) so I can't tell you if they do.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:What??? Why???

Oh crap, I got hubby the equivalent of cut flowers for his ducks...

9. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have heard of them living longer. I heard one that was 5 years old and still going!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have never heard that before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by