Huge Air bubble and parasites

fairie

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Germany
HI, I bought some new hens (from another hobby farmer, no idea of vaccines about 2 years old) and 1 is very unwell.

I had a stool sample done because she was poohing liquid and the last 2 days there is blood in it too. Came back positive for coccidiosis.

I had the hen in my hands 2 days ago to put her in a separate pen, then I let her out again. Her bum is dirty and she is listless, walking around with half closed eyes and floppy comb.

I just picked her up and she has a massive air bubble on her chest, her crop is so full of air I can see it on her back. She is also a bit bald on the front of her chest (since I bought her).

Now she is separated from the other hens and has water with AVC, no food, she spent most of the day sitting today, looking like she is getting worse. I already know the vet can not and will not give me any meds for her "she is a pet" and the farm vet doesn't work with chickens.

What do I do? SHE HAS A REALLY DIRTY BUM FOR THE LAST 4 DAYS

HER EYES ARE NOT BRIGHT AND HER COMB IS FLPPPY AND PALE

HER CHEST IS VERY DISTENDED

HERE IS HER HEALTHY SISTER LAST PHOTO

Where do you live? It may be common to get cocci when on new soil. Most feed stores in the US sell Corid (amprollium) powder or liquid. Get some and mix it with plain water (no ACV) and treat all of them for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1,5 tsp of the powder, and make a new batch daily. Then give them all some vitamins and plain yogurt for probiotics for several more days. Crops can be slow and full while sick with cocci and other illnesses. She probably isn't eating well anyway, but fluids are most important. a little plain yogurt to peck at is good too. If you are in another country, Coxoid ,Amprol, or Baycox may be what to look for. In some countries you have to buy it at the vet.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I live in Germany. The "Pet Vet" is not allowed to treat farm animals. The Farm Vet is not helpful and knows nothing about Chickens. I spoke with my Pet Vet last night and she told me the medication to buy. I now have to convince the Farm Vet to sell it to me.

Also my dad is coming from California on Monday. If she holds out he is bringing me , worm med's, parasite meds and a liquid vitamin for afterwards. Then I can treat all the hens on my own.

I am wondering what I should do about the air? Should I try to get her to throw up/Burp? Or should I just cull her and put her out of her misery?

I am also writing a letter today to the man I bought the chickens from. He should know how sick his chickens are.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom