Huge air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    I have 46 eggs in the bator, 1/2 from a seller and 1/2 from a very generous friend. One sent from Idaho, one from Tennesse. Both sets of eggs seem to have very big air cells at day 10. I was going to dry hatch, but with the air cells seeming so large even in the beginning, I kept humidity at 30-35 with a calibrated hygrometer. The air cells haven't gotten smaller or bigger, but they appear to be the size of the air cells in the diagrams you see from day 1. Is it normal? Should I add more humidity or just leave it as its supposed to be. BTW, I saw an embryo move for the first time while I was candling! Very very cool, and it makes me insanley anxious for hatching day.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would raise the humidity up to 45 % or so. Then for the most there isn't going to be much you can do at this point. There isn't anyway to guarantee your hatch with shipped eggs. Did you let the eggs rest for 12 to 24 hours after arrival?

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Little info ,...the older the eggs the larger the air cell.....when a eggs age the air cell get larger ,even if not incubated....reason the float test will tell how old eggs are.

i test eggs shipped to me, they floated which mean way to old to incubate.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/testingeggs.htm

4. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:I didn't know that! Thats good info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: