Huge back wound guinea fowl

peacehoneybee

Hatching
Sep 20, 2021
Hi everyone,

I came home to one of my guineas being literally eaten. The wound is fresh but huge, at least 3inches, I believe to the bone On her back. I currently have blood stop powder on it. I honestly would have just put her out of her misery, it’s that gruesome, but she seems to want to live. She hardly allows herself to be handled and I know the next step would be to flush the wound. Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated as this is the first injury I’ve had and it’s a hell of one to start with.

Attachments

• C1C52752-7220-4C2F-83BD-BC1CB8FAE544.jpeg
    C1C52752-7220-4C2F-83BD-BC1CB8FAE544.jpeg
    717.4 KB · Views: 30
Hi everyone,

I came home to one of my guineas being literally eaten. The wound is fresh but huge, at least 3inches, I believe to the bone On her back. I currently have blood stop powder on it. I honestly would have just put her out of her misery, it’s that gruesome, but she seems to want to live. She hardly allows herself to be handled and I know the next step would be to flush the wound. Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated as this is the first injury I’ve had and it’s a hell of one to start with.
I have flushed out the wound and sprayed it with vetrimycn. She is eating and drinking and alert.

Well I finally was able to get a vet that would help me over telehealth. So I though I would include what he said in case someone in need finds this thread. He said that flushing the wound and using vetericyn was good. I asked about whether he thought keeping it wet or dry was better and said he thought the vetericyn will do an adequate job of helping it heal. He is prescribing antibiotics and pain meds as it is clearly very painful. We should feed her high protein items to help regrow the tissue. I have included an image. I will update when/if she heals and if anything else comes up

Attachments

• 7A687470-3A04-4A17-8DFC-C4FDC2710917.jpeg
    7A687470-3A04-4A17-8DFC-C4FDC2710917.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom