HUGE bag of chicken treats from asian restaurant - happy & scared

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My mother manages an office building that shares an ally with an asian restaurant. They were tossing out a HUGE bag of scraps and my mom (being the eternal thrift / conservation queen) asked them to double bag it and put it in her trunk.

It was meant for the compost bin and to feed to my thousands of grubs , but I figured I'd let the girls dive into it first.

Lots of veggies and whole heads of lettuce. A bunch of white rice too. My main concern, and the reason I'm a bit scared, is that there seems to be a bunch of raw meat (maybe bacon) in there too. I'm debating on if I should let them have at it or not.

Check out the spread:

[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, that is some spread!!! Lucky you!! Yeah, I wonder about the meat thing too. Lets wait and see what 'they" have to say about it..............

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i would let them dive in..

they dont cook the mice before they eat them

and if Styrofoam goes through them whats a lil bacon ...lol

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Wow~ SCORE!!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Sheesh, I don't know if they are too picky or just full of other things, but they aren't even paying attention to the pile.

"See if I ever cook for you ladies again!" [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The raw pork would scare me too, just because of the bacteria raw pork packs.

I don't know... I'd be very hesitant myself and probably wouldn't chance it, but that's just me.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Maybe they just know better. [​IMG]

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Maybe your chickens prefer Greek or Mexican rather than Chinese food.

9. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    My girls eat leftovers from the lunches the firm's attorneys have -- LOTS of salads, sandwiches, etc. I also have a resturaunt down in the lobby that saves romaine lettuce from making the salads.

I give my hens just about anything -- they LOVE fat of any kind (pork, beef, etc), chicken skin, stuff like that, along w/ whatever I've kept during food prep.

It really is "SCORE" when I can find something special for them besides the usual scratch grain, cracked corn, and layer crumbles.

Gwen

PS -- my gals have become pretty partial to the Italian dressing on the salads and the leftover pasta ... o solo mia ! Wonder if they cluck in Italian ..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  10. Nifty-Chicken

Well, the girls just aren't interested. [​IMG]

So I went out and took the meat scraps and put them in the bin that is chalk full of a huge colony of Black Soldier Flies that should devour that stuff in a day or so.

The rest of the greens, etc. I put into a new bin and mixed it with chicken litter to cut down the smell a bit. I then took the lid from my "working" bin and put it on top of this new bin. The reason: The lid has 3 sets of black soldier fly eggs (probably a hundreds eggs in each set). When they hatch they will be in heaven with all the stuff below to feast on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by