Huge brush fire. We were evacuated then allowed back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rubyrogue, Jul 23, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Hello all. I took my son swimming today with my grandma and two of my cousins. On the way back I could see a huge plume of smoke and said looks like another fire has broke out in the desert. Well not even 2 minutes later my brother calls talking a mile a minute about how the canyon rim is on fire and there are fire trucks and planes and helecopters everywhere. I was like is our house in danger and he said no i dont hink so i think its just in the canyon and along the rim. I said okay ill be home soon. 20 minutes later my parents call and say that they cannot get home they are evacuating our area and my brother is loading up the dogs. I said what about my chickens. My mom said there wasnt time for my brother to round them all up so he set sprinklers all around the coops/runs and loaded up the dogs. So then I started freaking out. One we may lose our house and everything in it and two I may lose my chickens, coops and garden. Which are my only source of income right now. Then they tell me oh everything will be okay they are dropping retardent on everything. Well no thats not okay because it is probably toxic to chickens and even if its not it will taint the eggs. A few hours later when they gave the all clear and I was able to check on everything, my chickens were happily playing in the sprinkler showers and mud in their runs. The fire did do some damage to neighboring propertys but was contained about a hundred yards or so from my house. Our house smells really smokey and there is ash eerywhere but we and all the animals are okay.

Sorry for any spelling errors, my spell check wont come up and its late and im exausted
  2. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I am so happy that everyone is good for you and your chickens. I always hate to hear that people gets themselves out when there is a fire but leave the animals behind and I am glad your brother got your dogs out. I don't think I would even begin to eat those eggs right now. You know your chickens had to breath in that smoke.
  3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    [​IMG] I would have been freaking out. I don't care about the house, but my critters is another matter. I would have screaming at my brother to be packing the chickens at the first sign that there was trouble. I bet you will have a evacuation plan set up for next time. [​IMG]
  4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    I am so sorry but at least everything is ok, so glad to hear it! [​IMG] [​IMG] i probably would have been freaking out, so glad to hear you're ok! [​IMG] also, i dont recommend you eat those eggs right now but glad you're ok... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

we had a horrible fire a couple years ago. it came straight down the canyon, and was right up on top of the hill. it came 5 feet from some of our neighbors houses, but each house on the hill had a fire truck. it came about a foot from one of our neighbors reloading shed, that would have made a big boom. we had all the animals packed up, rabbits, cat, dog, etc, and we new our horse and cow would stick together, and our horse is really smart, so we were just going to let them out cuz our horse trailer was broken so we couldnt haul them off and our neighbors trailers were full of their animals. fortunately the fire didnt get anyones house and nobody got hurt, but now only thing in our canyon is brown weeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by