Huge Calcium deposits!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristaChickenWhisperer, Jan 18, 2010.

1. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Hi guys. I have been trying to figure this one out for awhile now and I am ashamed to say that I am stumped:

My grandparent's Easter Egger lays eggs with HUGE calcium deposits on them. They are so big I am actually surprise the poor girl hasn't hurt herself trying to lay those eggs. She is the only one that does this. The other three chickens all lay normal eggs with an occasional tiny deposit. The only thing I could think of is maybe she is eating more than the other girls? Other than that I am baffled...which is kind of embarrassing since I am a Pre-Vet student who wants to specialize in poultry. Its just never happened to me before so I just don't know! [​IMG]

Any input on this would be great. My grandparents are looking forward to hearing about it!

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Just gonna give ya a bump. sorry no help Here!

3. KristaChickenWhisperer

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Thanks for the bump! [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    could be that she's got some extra calcium in her system. If you're supplementing with oyster shell or some other form of calcium, you may want to hold it back for a couple of weeks and see if it stops.

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I wish I could help you. [​IMG] My story was a sad one. My brahma hen had that problem and later developed a big prolapse. She was culled through the tears. I think some hens are like other creatures that sometimes are born with some problems. If you with hold the calcium it will mean different feed for her than the others. This is one of the cons with poultry, we get so attached. I am soooo sorry you are having this problem.[​IMG] Gloria Jean

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Quote:Thank you! I feel pretty bad for this poor girl and I am surprised she is still so healthy. Grandma reported that the deposits have gone away for now so I am hoping she is done laying those horrible eggs!

8. KristaChickenWhisperer

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Quote:That was the first thing I told my grandparents. They held back the oyster shells and nothing changed.

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have one hen that mostly lays eggs with numerous calcium deposits. I have not given her any extra (eggshells/oyster shells) calcium for about a month and she continues to lay the same type of eggs. She is around 2yrs old. So I'm just guessing that in some cases a hen is just going to lay what she lays. You could try lowering the amount of calcium and see if it helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by