Huge Chicken Dinosaur Egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CK Chickadilly, Dec 14, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    with wrinkles! I don't know if I should crack it open to see if it has 2 yolks or if I should blow it out???? Take a look....

[​IMG]

& this one you can see the little bantie egg on the side.
    [​IMG]

How come they come out sometimes with wrinkles????

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow wee thats a big egg. I have had a few like that. I cooked them .

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Have you weighed it? That looks amazing, but then again you could just have small hands... [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I get eggs like that when my hen skips a day of laying. Not sure why. If it was me I would crack it open and eat it.

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I guess I need a scale if I am going to weigh eggs.... [​IMG] & I have always thought my hands were big for my size....GRRRR!

I think I might have to crack it open just to see inside.....but I would also like to blow it out.....decisions, decisions! Boy life is tough! [​IMG]

Anyone know why eggs come out wrinkled????

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I've had large wrinkled eggs like that and they leave me very puzzled. Most of mine weigh 3 ounces, which is larger than "Jumbo" that they sell in the stores. A dozen eggs like that would weigh 36 ounces and standard jumbo eggs weigh 30 ounces for a dozen.

Unfortunately, I have no answer as to why they are wrinkled or why the wrinkled ones are always big ones. One thing I was thinking (and this is only an idea I came up with which is not substantiated by any facts I know of) that such large eggs are too big for the insides of a hen and as the shell is forming, it becomes wrinkled because the space is cramped. I'm probably all wrong on that, but it's the only thing I could think of!

All of my hens eat the same food, so I don't think it has anything to do with that because it doesn't happen all that often and when it does, out of all the eggs I get, only one is wrinkled.

I do have a digital scale and I use it all the time. I think you would find one very handy!

BTW, I have found them fine to eat but never had a double yolk yet! Genie

7. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    wow!thats a BIG egg!! [​IMG]

8. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I've read somewhere that when they get large like that its possible they are bumping up next to the next egg to come when they are still soft and that this causes the wrinkles... just hear say though..

9. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I get the big wrinkled eggs quite often. I think they all come from the same older hen. By older, I mean two or three (can't remember how old exactly as I inherited them from the previous occupants of the house). Wish I had an answer as to why they get wrinkled. Been wondering the same thing. The answer given by a previous poster sounds logical, that its from being rushed out the chute so to speak due to another egg being on its way down.

10. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Nice egg! But my theory about the wrinkling is a little different.

I have been told that egg shells are soft at time of lay and harden instantly when air touches them. So, if that statement is true I think the wrinkles would be from squeezing a very large but pliable object through a tight hole. The wrinkles would result from the stretched shell and membrane that would be pushed to the back....think of when you pull the skin on your dogs neck forward and he/she gets some wrinkles on his face.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by