1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HUGE chicken egg! :D

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by germanbini, May 11, 2008.

1. germanbini

germanbini New Egg

Apr 9, 2008
    south central WI
    About two months ago we bought some pullets that have just recently begun laying eggs in the past several weeks. Several of them have been double yolk eggs and while I think that is neat, I found out that it is not that uncommon for a newly laying chicken to lay double yolk eggs.

Out of the batch of our five pullets, one of them is laying whitish (ecru) colored eggs. We're not sure but it might be the silver (white) Wyandotte (that's what it looks like, anyway). Anyhow, we hadn't gotten a white egg lately, though I didn't think too much of it since they're only just beginning to lay and don't always produce one each day.

Today we found out what the holdup was on the white egg. We don't have any ducks or geese and the pen is enclosed so we know it's from one of our chickens. Although it might not win any records, it's certainly noteworthy! We're happy there was no blood on the egg and that the chicken seems to be alright - though I would think it would have hurt! (Quarter and regular sized egg for scale). I wonder how many yolks this will have!
    [​IMG]

2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    That is huge. Looks like it might even be bigger than my geese eggs. Definitely a fat egg.

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    WOW! That is a huge egg. I can't help but feel bad for the chicken that passed it! [​IMG]
    LOL, thanks for sharing.
    Lori

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    YOWZA! Hollow that out and save it! [​IMG]

5. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    My Black Star did the exact same thing/size about two weeks ago. Now she has completely stopped laying. Nothing looks awry from the rear, so why no more eggs? Thanks for letting me pop in.[​IMG]

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    OUCH!!!!!! Sure glad I am not a hen.

7. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

DANG! But, could you e-magine if we had Kiwi's for hens? They lay an wowzer of an egg! If only there could be a way to get eggs that size out of chickens every week........just kidding!

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ow ow ow! thats gotta hurt! [​IMG]

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Ow, that makes me hurt.

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict