Huge chicken not jersey Giants? At glen allen swap/show may 1 2010.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by leoismydog, Nov 23, 2010.

1. leoismydog

leoismydog Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Well I was at a chicken swap on May 1 st , north of richmond, they had a show and i saw some huge black chickens. I really liked them and wrote down there name but i can find it anywhere now. They were not jersey giants they had a different name. They stood almost as tall as a turkey. Any ideas, Thanks

Edit it was at the Gilman Farm in Glen Allen, VA swap in 2010.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Did they have feathers on their feet? What did their combs look like?

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    No idea, but am curious now [​IMG]

4. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    The Langshan and Sumatra breeds are both black and bigger than the average chicken...

5. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    IF i rememver correctly there feet were clean and i beleive dark in color, gray to black and the had a single straight comb as im not as fond of the pea comb. Ive looked at the langshan pics but they dont look in the pictures as big an inpressive as these things were. There were tall and thick but not like a coochin thick where its all feathers.

6. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Just a thought here, but what was their body style? Were they big and fluffy or tall and dense or somewhere in the middle? Some of the Oriental breeds (Shamo, etc.) are really tall(sometimes 36 inches or more), but are super dense and can weigh just as much as a Jersey Giant. In the neighborhood of 10 – 13 pounds.

7. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    They looked like a " typical" chicken, they were not round like cochins or wellsomers, they had a body style more like the RIR or Marans. They were not Fluffy, there feathers were flat to the body. They were tall but not skinny, well proportioned overall. This is Vague i know, but mabey someone from that show will pop in as say there _____ from ______.

8. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    Anybody else have an Idea

9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Hey I was there. I took photos of the bird you may have been talking about. If not a Giant, then maybe it was an Australorp. The ones in the shows are alot bigger than the hatchery birds. Sorry about the blue in the pics wrong camera setting.

Is this the one?

[​IMG]

Here are some big ones! Langshan?

[​IMG]

10. leoismydog

May 30, 2008
    Yes I beleive those were it. Do you know what they were or whos they were so i can contact ang get some eggs or chicks this spring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by