Huge crop and im really worried!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jesseschickens, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    My red sex link Curious eats every thing in sight and her crop is huge! its like a big ball of jelly! She does not act sick but she does this weird head bob thing and burps alot. Her breath smells kinda icky. She has had a huge crops all winter. She has always been a big hen but know shes the size of the Buff Orpingtos I really worried and I dont now how to help her! Will she be okay?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. me2pl

me2pl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Chico, California
    try giving her lots of water and she will probably come out all right. the water should help the food pass through her system, come to think of it, try confining her with a limited supply of food and see if that helps

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you might add some apple cider vinegar (ACV) to her water; sounds like she has sour crop. Do a search for sour crop and you should find plenty of posts with descriptions of it and how to treat it.

4. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    thank you

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Let us know how she's doing while she's recovering. [​IMG] She's in my prayers!

6. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Quote:Thank you i have no means of confining her so i check on her periodicaly and I going to put apple cider viniger in the girls's water today! my mom told me not to worry about her to much she is a fat and happy hen that likes her life the way it is. I thinks she digested som of the food last night cause her crop is just a wee bit smaller! HOORAY!!!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you go to the FAQ forum and scroll way down the page you will find links to several threads about crop problems. I've never dealt with this, but I know there are several things you can do to help her get that crop emptied. If it happens to me, this is where I will read. Good luck!

8. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    You should only have to worry if you find her all by herself, not moving around with the others,not eating, and puffed up. I had that problem with my BO but after a couple of days with acv and no grains she was back to normal. Good luck with your girl!

9. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I have had the same problem with one of my Wyandottes - in December she went thru a crazy molt and her crop was like a huge water balloon - I really didn't smell any bad odors tho - she seemed to feel alright but she also did the head bobbing etc - - here is a video of her - she does the head-bob right in the begininning

After about 2 weeks of this I isolated her in a dog crate in the house and gave her scrambled eggs and yogurt - NO GRAIN - she ate very little and after 2 days i decided to put her back with the flock - her crop is a lot smaller now and she seems fine......I think it would be considered pendulous crop and from what i have read they can live fine with it.......I will say she is not laying again yet...[​IMG]

10. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Quote:Wow this makes me feel better that is exactly what curious does bobs her head a few time and goes right back to eating how much apple cider vinigar should I put in a gallon waterer???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by