Huge crop. But, nothing abnormal given to eat?? ADVICE???

little farmer

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
~ Gone with the chickens!!!~
Hello, tonight when I out with my chickens I noticed that my one hen's (Buttermilk) crop was abnormally big. I didn't give her anything to eat besides her normal layer feed. She is acting fine, and eating and drinking normally. Did she just eat too much, or did she eat something too big? Thanks in advance!!! ~ little farmer

If her breathe is stinky, like a 'sour' smell, she could have sour crop. Search it on here, there are many threads giving advice. Is it possible that she just had a good day foraging?

Mine occasionally come in looking like they've swallowed a baseball. Check her in the morning before she goes out. If it's gone fine, if it's not then you might have a problem. But wait and see what the morning brings.

Okay, weird thing again today. I took them out to go run around some while I did the horses, and when I got back her crop was the same hugeness. She's fine 'flying' eating drinking walking pecking doing everything normal. Is she just eating more than normal to stay warm cause of the cold winter??

Back
Top Bottom