Huge Crop everyday! Is she just a piglet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by heidibeidi, Nov 17, 2010.

1. heidibeidi

heidibeidi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Hi there,
    I am pretty new to chickens, that's for sure. We have three 9 month old backyard chickens right outside of Madison, WI. It's going pretty well, no major problems yet. But I did freak out a couple weeks ago when my barred plymoth rock had a huge lump on her chest that felt like an egg. Luckily, I used the BYC forum and found it was probably just a full crop. So we took the food away overnight and everything was fine in the morning. Problem is, this happens almost everyday now! Pepper is the leader of the pack and very forward when it comes to handouts. This summer she even started jumping up onto the patio table and stealing food while we were still eating, spoiled brat. [​IMG] Anyway, I don't know if she's just such a piglet that she overdoes it everyday, or if there is a problem? It goes down everynight and she's always normal by morning. My other girls are nothing like this.

Any advice on Ms. Piggy?

Heidi

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Not sure if that's what yours is, a picture would help. But I do know that my little piggies eat as much as they can every night before bedtime.... they stuff themselves so their chest feathers stick out and look all funny. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My barred rock is the same way - very nosy

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

On some of my birds, you can barely see their full crops, while others get huge and lopsided looking. Like people, they're all different in their body shapes and how they carry their weight...lol. So I'm sure your girl is just fine, since she empties out each night [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by