Huge Crop!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbhorsefly, Oct 19, 2015.

1. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    I have two of the cutest little Cochins! They are about 10 weeks old. Picking one up this evening, I noticed that his/her crop is HUGE! It's as big as the rest of the chicken! It's the entire front end about the size of a baseball. It feels soft and wet. Like a water balloon. I know I've been checking these guys crops rather regular because it's how I gauge whether everyone is getting enough food, the lowest men On the totem pole have had their fill, everyone else must have too. It's never been this big before. I popped on here and did a subject search. I turned her/him upside down and massaged it. I didn't feel any hard lumps and soft liquid fermented feed (what I feed) spilled out along with bits of grass. I didn't want the poor thing to aspirate, so I gave her a break. Then I tried again just to get a good feel and see if I could feel anything hard or broad, like a bit of cardboard or plastic, etc. Nothing. They've been out free ranging today. It looks like I just keep him/her off feed this evening and check that it's gone down in the am before I give them any feed. If not, it might require further treatment, but for now I should just leave it be? I don't see any odd behavior for this particular chickens personality. Always been a bit standoffish, but easy to catch. I don't see anything else out of the ordinary.

2. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    I checked Fancy before feeding this morning. The crop has gotten smaller, but not a lot. If the crop is enlarged, there is still food in it? I brought Fancy in the house in a dog crate. I've provided water. And I have some save-a-chick I can mix up if this takes too long. I saw him/her poop last night and I'll keep an eye out to be sure things are still moving through. Hopefully, it will just reduce throughout the day and I can know there is nothing indigestible or lodged in there.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't attempt vomiting anymore unless you are certain there is a problem, since choking to death is very possible. She may just be eating too much. You could cage her inside the coop or run with water and put some vitamins and electrolytes in it. Give her a very small amount of plain yogurt or buttermilk if your feed or electrolytes don't already contain probiotics. Do this for today, and check the crop in the morning at daylight. Crops can look very big in young chicks who pig out, but unless she has eaten grass, bedding, or something else that won't go down, she may not have a crop problem. Chickens love wet feed, and especially fermented feed. Don't feed her any grains until her crop has become smaller.

4. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    Thank you! The kids are enjoying having a houseguest today. I'll mix up some electrolytes and we'll just keep an eye on everything. Fancy is one of our favorites.

5. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    Her crop eventually went down! But it felt like it had some grit in it. I let her eat again, and it just filled up again. I've got her confined to let it go down again. If I feel the same amount of grittiness, do I need to do an impaction surgery?

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Mine get huge crops depending on what they're eating. Grass and weeds and the like, will fill them up pretty fast, but they spend their youth exercising it by eating more and more, so it can stretch quite a bit, actually!

I gave mine some leftover coleslaw the other day, and three specific piggies proceeded to fill themselves up so much that they couldn't even walk straight ;)

As long as there's no visible discomfort, its normal for them to fill up, then settle for a while and digest it, especially at night while roosting :)

7. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    I have to agree with shortgrass on this one. Our frizzle surprised the heck out of me when I first saw her HUGE crop! Her whole body is only slightly larger than a softball, but her crop was as big as a baseball. (The wife named her, but I nicknamed her 'Miss Piggy'...boy can that little hen EAT!) Wet and squishy might be a concern though, I'd recommend a keyword search here and read up more on it, as it can be harmful. Grit is normal, as they eat dirt to help grind food.

8. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    I've just done more research and watched a bunch of videos. I'm going to induce vomiting by massage if it's still really distended. If there is that gritty putty, I'll see if I can't rinse that out. After watching some surgeries, she is nowhere near that impacted! It is not hard at all. So I'll be trying any other means before resorting to anything like that.

9. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    She's not really behaving normally when it's full and it takes an inordinate amount of time to decrease. When it finally got "empty" there was a gritty, rocky, sandy, possibly putty type feeling just about the size of a dime. Since they need grit to digest their food and it's gotta go through the crop to get to there, I wasn't concerned and let her to get own devices again. It filled right back up and after perking back up when it was empty she quickly started acting sickly again. So I'm wondering if maybe that "silt" is slowing her drain considerably, like a backed up sink and not made its way to her gizzard. I feel like I have a lot more information to work with. Thanks peeps for the advice! I'm hoping it clears up quickly so it doesn't sour.

10. bbhorsefly

Jun 24, 2015
    Oh, and it doesn't feel like, and I've not seen or felt any real amount of grass or ruffage in her crop. It's filled almost entirely with runny fermented feed. Then it's so full, she doesn't range and eat grasses and ruffage. She gets full and then just stands puffed up or waddling slowly around dragging her crop. She's still pooping and it does slowly, very slowly, decrease when I separate her, so I'm hoping that means she's still getting nutrition from it. If it wasn't affecting her behavior or if I wasn't concerned it would develop into a bigger problem, I'd just leave it. You've given me confidence that every massive crop isn't necessarily cause for concern!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by