HUGE crops on Cornish Cross

Sweepy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Virginia
Not sure how "normal" this is. This is our first time at raising some meat birds. We have 14 Cornish X that are now 2 weeks old. I've read tons of advice on here about this breed and I know that they are eating (and pooping) machines for the purpose of getting to a good dressing weight fast. We've been using the feeding plan of giving them food, chicken starter/grower, for about 15 minutes 3 or 4 times per day. At this point, several of them have grotesquely huge crops. We can actually see the food in there through the thin skin. It feels hard to the touch. I've read some about impacted crops but it seems unlikely that several birds would have that simultaneously. So, we're wondering if this is normal or are we still overfeeding. Also, several have bald bellies. Is that normal? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Both are normal with X's. They get so big, so fast that there just aren't enough features to cover it all and their crops are noticeably big from week 2 (or so) on. Although a picture would be good to be sure it's normal. They are typically larger than normal though. The bald bellies will always be bald. :) They're an interesting bird. You never know what you're going to get with them either. I had one in my last flock that had an extra toe on his thigh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom