Huge Dandelion Greens (PIX)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rebbetzin, Mar 14, 2009.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    My chickens LOVE Dandelion greens. And this year I am having a bumper crop!! Have you ever seen such giant leaves on a Dandelion?

[​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Those must be some happy chickens! Seriously though, I thought I had big dandelions but uh, nope. You win LOL [​IMG]

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Just to see how much my hens loved dandelions, I collected some that I popped out of the lawn. After rinsing, these weeds went in a plastic bag, roots and all, and into the microwave for a minute. The hens ate them, roots and all [​IMG]!

I'm looking forward to being able to do that again this year. My backyard lawn is fairly small and greens are a little slow to show up from the garden. Bag full of dandelion . . . and I'm a hero [​IMG]!

Now as far as luscious dandelions, they are pretty good as a veggie dish for us, too. . . . use only the nicest, fast-growing plants. Boil just for a few minutes then pull out and stir-fry in hot oil - quite good.

But, you don't need to eat the roots [​IMG].

Steve

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I harvest dandies every day for my torts and now for the chickens. Fortunately, I have enough for all the animals, and when I don't I just go for a walk. But, why would you cook them for the chicks?

5. nicodemuschickenfan

nicodemuschickenfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Enid, OK!
    OMG I've never seen such huge greens! [​IMG]

6. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:I don't cook them for the chickens. I just put them in the little hanging cage feeder, or I give the leaves to them by hand.

They don't like much in the way of cooked anything. They like things raw!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by