HUGE egg -- cause?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Hens 5, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Happy Hens 5

Happy Hens 5 New Egg

Apr 19, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    I collected a huge egg today....the size of a large goose egg. Does anyone know what happened? Twins or triplets if I hatch it?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have gotten 2 of those extra large eggs from my birds.People on here said it was because they were new layers and it takes a while sometimes for their system to work it out.From what I have read,you should only hatch regular sized,clean eggs and eggs without a LOT of pores to get a good hatch.Everything I have read on here says twins are highly unlikely and usually one or both die.That said,the eggs are cool to see.I think my first one was like 3.5 inches tall and 6 inches around [​IMG]

3. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, it's nice to get a big egg, one of mine who has only been laying a few months went through a period of laying huge eggs, I did try to incubate one but didn't realize it was a double yolker (double yolkers will not develop and die when incubated) my better hatches have been from using regular size eggs anything else has never managed to hatch. Your probably better off eating it and enjoying it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by