HUGE egg from RIR! Blood on it. *PIC

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aqhaktberry3, Dec 20, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I have several Rhode Island Red hens. I found this HUGE egg in the nesting box. It had blood on it. Does that mean the hen had trouble laying it? (I'm sure she did because it was so abnormally large) It doesn't even fit in an egg carton. I was a little worried about the hen, however I don't know which one laid it. They are seem fine and its been several days. Do you think she will lay more like this, or is it usually a one time thing? The pictures don't do it justice.

Here is the egg with the blood on it.
    [​IMG]

Here is the egg next to a normal RIR egg.
    [​IMG]

2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Wow! That is one MONSTER egg! I feel bad for the girl that laid it! OUCH!!![​IMG]

3. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I would think that it's a rare egg. Blood on eggs is normal from time to time as blood vessles can rupture while the hen is trying to pass the egg. I would bet that jumbo egg you have there also has more than one yolk.

Some hens lay all kinds of different size eggs while they are new to the egg laying process. right now, my RIR's have been laying for 2 months and I am getting alot of very large (not as big as yours) doubble yolk eggs. As they get older, these things usually work themselves out.

4. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Our hens have laid eggs that size or bigger before. We sometimes have to put them in tupperware containers. [​IMG] But I don't think they have ever had blood on them. [​IMG]

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Like woodchic sez here too. Never had blood. Lots of those whoppers are double yolkers here. Sounds like she nearly had a blowout.[​IMG]

6. molly645

molly645 New Egg

Jul 26, 2009
    i had a large egg last sunday. from my rir and it was double yoak. but no blood on it.
    hope that is some help.

7. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    Ow! That hurts to look at! Give that hen a cheeseburger!

8. animalnut

animalnut New Egg

Dec 21, 2009
    i had blood on the first egg my young one layed. Not nearly that size though!

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Every once in a while I'll get one of those too. The blood is probably like what popcorn puppy said - a ruptured blood vessel. Probably because it's such a massive egg! I love cracking those ones... [​IMG] You might want to check your girls' vents just in case though.

10. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    my rir girls do that all the time....the blood is okay they are just stretching things out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by