Huge egg! Is this typical?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanIndiana, Sep 8, 2010.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    We just got our first 5 hens 4 days ago, and either a Buff Orpington or a Barred Plymouth Rock gave us this monster. The white egg to the right of it is a store bought large egg. These seem like good sized birds, but I had no idea they could make eggs like this! Is this common? Anyone have any other examples?
    [​IMG]

2. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    It looks like a double yolk egg. This is very common in pullets. I just love cracking open an egg and finding two yolks. It is possible there are three yolks in there, but my guess it two. If its not a double yolk, its going to be one huge yolk! Congrats :)

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Wowza!! I think it's more common in younger layers, at least it was for my girls. I haven't seen a double yolker in at least 5 months...

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I am new to the home raised chicken game, and my only laying hen has surprised me with HUGE eggs.

What I've found is that grocery store "large" eggs weigh 2- 2.25 oz. Lucy's eggs have been between 2.5- 2 7/8 oz.

Here's a couple examples of her eggs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, every egg she's given us has been a single yolked egg, too.

5. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    [​IMG] We have five pullets each a different breed. They have all started laying about the 20 week mark (Aug 2). On the best day we received 5 eggs, but most of the time we get 3 or 4 eggs daily. We have also kept a ledger for every egg that was laid since Buffy our Buff Orpington (BO) laid the first one. Most of the eggs weighed in around 44 to 46 grams equivlant to a store bought small. However, we also got a jumbo sized egg that weighed in at 74 grams which came from Piper our Plymouth Barred Rock (PBR). [​IMG] From your picture the light brown egg came from your BO and the jumbo monster came from the PBR.

OUR grand total of eggs laid thus far is 76.

Hope you have great luck in your backyard chicken endeavors and may you always have a sunnyside up day. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My 1 1/2 year old barred rock gives me jumbo sized eggs. If your layer is young, it's probably a double yolker. I haven't had a double yolker in a lonnnnng time.

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't say that huge eggs are common, but they do happen infrequently. They're always so impressive!
    This one was from one of my Easter Eggers, who had only been laying for a couple of weeks by this point. Ouch is all I can think to say about it! (the white one was an extra-large store-bought egg)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  8. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    WOW !!! [​IMG] that poor hen !!! LOL she must have been in that nesting box for an hour ! Reminds me of my first labor.... [​IMG]

9. foxchasr

foxchasr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Here is a picture of my RI Red's egg (brown egg) next to another one of my hen's normal sized eggs (green egg). The egg on the left was MASSIVE, which was a double yolk. She laid this about 4 months ago and has been laying normal sized eggs since.

[​IMG]

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I get 3 oz Jumbo + eggs from my 2 leghorns every couple of days. This really amazes me cause they are the smallest chickens in my flock. The last one I cracked open had 3 yolks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by