Huge Egg recall......34 states affected!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinalibnania, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tinalibnania

tinalibnania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
  2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    "Michael Foods, of Minnetonka, is recalling eggs in brine sold in 10- and 25-pound pails for institutional use in 34 states."

Institutional use? Would that be like schools and prisons?

3. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Thats the scary part, they use the eggs probably as you said for schools, nursing homes, hospitals....who knows....but also going into food products prepared for grocery store sales like egg salad and such....

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    "Institutional use" means those giant jars of pickled eggs you see at gas stations or similar where you pay $1 and they fish out an egg. It doesn't necessarily mean schools or prisons.

5. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Allison's Gourmet Kitchens is recalling prepared foods that include hard boiled eggs that have been recalled because they may contain listeria.
    Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens was notified by their egg supplier, Michael Foods, Inc., that they are recalling numerous lots of their hard cooked eggs due to the potential for contamination by Listeria monocytogenes. Some of these eggs were used in the effected products, according to an Food and Drug Administration press release.
    Allison's is recalling certain prepared potato, macaroni, pea and egg salads that contain the recalled cooked eggs. The salads were distributed in Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Tennessee and Missouri to retail stores and food service. The Allison's Gourmet Kitchens recall list can be viewed at the FDA website.

Edited for more info:

MINNEAPOLIS • Minnesota-based Michael Foods has substantially widened a recall of hard-boiled eggs because of a potential for contamination with a dangerous strain of listeria.
    The recall involves more than 150,000 pounds of eggs sold in pails for institutional use in 34 states, and has caused at least two supermarket chains — both of which used Michael Foods eggs — to issue their own recalls of prepared foods.
    Late Wednesday, Michael Foods announced an egg recall covering 24 production lot dates, up from three announced last week. The recall involves Michael Foods' 10- and 25-pound pails of eggs in brine — 15,000 pails all together.
    There have been no confirmed reports of illness in connection with the recall by Michael Foods, the nation's seventh-largest egg producer as ranked by the publication Egg Industry.
    The recalled eggs could be carrying listeria monocytogenes, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. It also can cause miscarriages and stillbirths. Healthy individuals can suffer high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
    The eggs in Wednesday's recall, announced by Michael through the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, were produced at the company's Wakefield, Neb., plant. They were bought by food distributors and manufacturers in Minnesota and 33 other states, including Missouri and Illinois.
    The eggs carry six brand names: Columbia Valley Farms, GFS, Glenview Farms, Papetti's, Silverbrook and Wholesome Farms.
    While the eggs were not sold directly to retailers, companies that bought the eggs could have used them in products sold to retailers or used in restaurants or food-service settings.

Listeria is a relatively common bug and is tested for "zero tolerance," said Doug Powell, a food safety expert at Kansas State University. "So you get a lot of recalls without illnesses."
    But when listeriosis strikes, it can be a particularly fatal food-borne illnesses with a "kill rate" of 20 percent to 30 percent in the people who contract it, Powell said. Last year, a cantaloupe-related listeria outbreak centered on a Colorado farm killed 30 people, one of the deadliest food-related outbreaks in recent years.

Just be careful, as I keep reading the news it is getting wider in area and products.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    According to the news report, institutional use includes restaurants, schools, hospitals and nursing homes. Listeriosis is especially dangerous for the young and the frail - kids in schools, sick people in hospitals and older people in nursing homes...glad they recalled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by