HUGE EGG... Will it incubate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaBugg, Aug 21, 2011.

1. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I found I ginornous buff colored egg. My first thought was that one of my ducks finaly started laying. But then I recalled reading that rouen/mallard eggs were a greenish color.. So one of my BO laid a huge egg, twice the size of the bigger ones they have been laying. How would a super big egg do if incubated? I know they say small eggs= small chicks.. what about huge eggs? are their any health risks to chick hatched from oversized eggs?

We have had one of our BO girls lay a smaller double yolk, so my family was torn between trying to incubate it, and cracking it open to see how many yolks it has.

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would be afraid of hatching siamese twins [​IMG]

3. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:I would be afraid of hatching siamese twins [​IMG]

Funny thats what my hubby said lol.. could a large egg really produce a siamese baby? or just if it was double yolk?

4. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    There has only been a few instances of double yolkers hatching successfully. They develop full term but die in shell because they can't hatch by themselves. They also won't be identical, because it's just to yolks stuck in the same shell. Its the same as incubating 2 eggs that hatch at the same time. If I were you, I wouldn't because its just extra trouble and disappointment in the end.

5. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    it should be fine i say go for it [​IMG]

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Stressful!! [​IMG]

8. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:Stressful!! [​IMG]

OK I cannot load videos on my pc, can someone tell me what it is? I am trying to upload the vid, no success so far though

9. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:X2 you can try it for S and G's but it's extra work for a big disappointment

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by