Huge egg with line around middle??

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Found this big egg with line around middle. Could this be two eggs joined together or what would cause the line around middle? It is really hot where we live (TN) so I thought we would be getting fewer & smaller eggs but we get a double yolk pretty often.

Found this big egg with line around middle. Could this be two eggs joined together or what would cause the line around middle? It is really hot where we live (TN) so I thought we would be getting fewer & smaller eggs but we get a double yolk pretty often.

I think Renee might be right...sometimes a completed egg backs up a bit and gets joined with another in the shelling area?

Would be very curious to see the inside of that egg...especially if you could carefully crack it lengthwise.
Here's a good article on egg quality issues and some of the possible causes.
I don't think that one is in the article but maybe @sumi could add it, especially if you got some pics of the insides?

Single shell tho?

I thought that one might be a triple yolker!

Sumi should be back on later, they're in the other half of the world.

This told are great! Are you just feeding them the layer crumbles (Nutrena?) How much do they free range?
My husband got me my girls for Valentine's day, I have 12. When they curated started lasting the told were more orange in color but now seen to be lighter and the only thing that's changed is that they get to run free in the back yard from 6pm until they go to bed. I have a really big run for them in the fenced area as well.
Love BYC website! :)

Thanks! They free range all day, eat layer crumbles/ oyster shell/ grit / corn. & anything else we feel like feeding them whether it's bread, peanuts, vegetables, etc. From what I've read free ranging is really supposed to help with the color of the yolk to make it the richer orange color.

Back
Top Bottom