Huge egg yesterday...now blood streaked egg and bloody vent today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jobydog, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jobydog

jobydog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    One of our chickens laid a huge egg yesterday. I am attaching pictures below. I originally thought it might be one of my Jersey Giants but this evening one of my Golden Laced Wyandottes had some blood on her rump and there was a smaller egg with blood streaked on it. This is honestly the biggest chicken egg I have ever seen. We have gotten some pretty large eggs, but not this big. Could this have ruptured some blood vessels in the hen's vent and is there anything I need to do? She does not appear to have a prolapsed uterus as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance for all responses. Here it is in comparison with other eggs. Weighs 4 oz.!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    New hens? looks like a double or triple yolker! A bit of blood on the egg is not surprising! the bleeding should taper off, as should the over sized eggs. The biggest concern is other birds picking the vent of the bird who is bleeding. In the mean time, wipe blood off vent and occasionally check for prolapse or binding until she quits laying huge eggs. Most likely she is fine though. [​IMG]

3. jobydog

Jun 25, 2014
    No, they are not new hens. I've raised them from chicks from this past spring and summer. Most have been laying now for at least three-four months so they are about eight months old. We are getting pretty large eggs most days, although since I have several breeds, it is hard to know which hens are laying which eggs. I've gotten a couple of really large eggs, but nothing near the size of this one. You can see the egg immediately to its left (your right facing the photo) is large, but significantly smaller than this one. The huge egg has some slight striations about midway around it and on one end that are difficult to see in the photo. The hen seems fine other than a bit of a bloody vent. I'll watch her to make sure the other chickens and roos don't start pecking her bottom; if they do, I'll separate her into a separate pen I have. I hate to do that unless absolutely necessary though since it is so cold right now here. I guess I could cage her and put the cage in the coop with the others if I have to. Hopefully that won't be necessary. Thanks so much for your rapid response---I'm pretty new to raising chickens.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Looking at the pic again, it does seem like a body checked egg. That means it spent extra time in the shell gland getting fixed and kinda like two eggs fused together. Weird things happen when the egg cycle gets interrupted. Weird things you wouldn't think of, can interrupt an egg cycle. Hopefully this is just a passing anomaly and not the sign of something worse.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I had a Delaware that would occasionally throw HUGE eggs like that.

I agree with everything the other poster said, just watch to make sure no one picks at her.

She may occasionally throw a big egg. I had a New Hampshire also do that from time to time. (Ouch!)

Lady of McCamley

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might be an egg in an egg...break er open and see!.

Agrees... keep and eye on any bloody butts.

7. jobydog

Jun 25, 2014
    One of my Lavender hens was dead this evening, with an egg partially extruded. No sign of any other issues before my husband found her dead. Could this have anything to do with the huge egg from two days ago (don't know it was from the Lavender though), the blood-streaked egg from yesterday, and the dead hen from today?

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Definitely could be related and connected. Egg bound and prolapse of vent can definitely cause death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by