1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HUGE Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tish_matt, Oct 11, 2011.

1. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    We got an egg today that weighed 3.30 oz, it wont even fit in the egg carton. We average around 1.80-2.0 oz per egg, except for the hamburgs which are around 1.25oz.

Anyone get any big eggs like that?

I hope the bird is ok [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What you have is almost certainly a double yolked egg. Sometimes, when the hen's internal egg factory messes up, she'll start two yolks at the same time. The result is usually an extremely large egg.

It usually does not harm the hen. On rare occasions it can cause prolapse or possibly other problems, but not really very often. This will sometimes happen when a pullet has first started laying and does not have alll the kinks worked out of her internal laying system, but it can happen with older hens too. As long as it is not a regular occurrence, it usually is not a real problem, but I'd prefer to not see this be a habit for a hen. There is some risk no matter how neat or cool it may be to get an egg like this.

3. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:I didn't weigh this one but OUCH! It was a double yolk.
    [​IMG]

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, that definately had to hurt...OUCH...

5. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    Yeah we have had some double yokes, but nothing close to this size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:WOW!!!!! That is freaky...LOL I think a pterodactyl snuck into your hen house:) Make sure you let us know how many yolks please.

7. StanJernberg

StanJernberg New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Same thing happened to us. Have 3 layers and were getting consistent 2" eggs, then this one. All I can say is OUCH! Haven't had another since and didn't seem to effect the one who laid it as she went back to the regular size ever since. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, we got one on the 3rd of Oct. I told my GF I was going to take that girl an ice-pack to sit on. 89grams
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's mine.... It turned out to be an egg within an egg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by