Huge Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steve232, Jan 24, 2017.

1. steve232

steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    Last fall I got a couple of barred rocks which was called heritage breed. Honestly didn't know there was a heritage breed but anyway heres my questions. When I got them they were molting and of course not laying. Recently Pixie began to lay. Her eggs were big from the beginning. Usually they weighed in the neighborhood of 2.6 oz. Sunday she laid an egg that was a monster 3.57 oz. Today she laid another really big one at 3.23 oz. I am worried that laying eggs that big will cause her problems. I am giving them 20% protein layer pellets. My other chickens are laying normal sized eggs. So is this too much protein and causing her to lay those huge eggs ? Should I give them a lower protein layer feed. I do give them a little whole corn late in the afternoons and on days when I'm home I allow them to free range a hour or so before dark when I can stay out there with them and keep neighbors dogs away not to mention hawks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Second, third, etc laying cycles (cycles run from molt to molt) often yield the largest eggs of a birds productive life - the trade off being that the number of eggs tends to decline with each subsequent cycle. That being said, even in these cycles the odd monster and/or tiny eggs occur. Two eggs of unusual size aren't enough to know whether you are seeing a pattern of regular production of these large eggs or if this is just the misfires of a bird coming back into production. The protein content of the feed you are using is not likely the issue, though there is some evidence that higher protein diets contributes to larger egg size - and I would not change your feed program at this point based on these eggs.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have gotten a 3 oz and a 3.35 oz about a month or 2 ago and are laying xl and jumbo size. My eggs average about 2.4 Oz from my sex-link pullets. I have not had a problem so far with my girls. I think 18 to 20 percent protein is OK. I have read that older hens need less protein, but could lead to feather eating if you drop protein too quickly.
    Older Hens lay larger but fewer eggs after molt. GC

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. steve232

steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks to both of you for your replies and advice. I do plan on nearer to summer dropping down to a 17% protein food. I'm thinking they have added some weight during the winter and the lower protein will maybe help them to loose a couple pounds they may not need in our hot summer thats on the way.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello.....Barred Rocks are classified as Duel purpose Chickens....Layers and Meat......Your right about having them on a 17% layer ration....The large eggs will stop as she matures and her egg laying will work all the kinks out.......

Cheers!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Older birds can lay larger eggs....this bird is at least 2 years old?
    Are the eggs double yolkers?
    Spring can pump up the hormones increasing size(?) and number of ova maturing and released.

20% feed is fine, you are actually diluting the feed protein with the corn.
    I feed 20%, but also give a proportion of scratch grains every day so total daily protein is about 17-18%.

Going to lower protein feed once they start ranging is kind of backwards,
    they'll be getting more other foods out on range area (again diluting feed protein levels),
    plus they'll eat less feed when ranging.
    It's foods high in fat that makes birds fat, not protein.

Look at all the foods the birds are eating, not just the 'feed'.

7. LearningChick

LearningChick New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Got a huge egg today out of the dozen eggs from 7 chickens! Using displacement and measurements we determinus that it is twice as big as our usual eggs,which are on the large side.
    Ouch, was my first reaction. Don't know which bird laI'd the egg. Don't know why some birds laid more than one egg today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by