Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
Hi.
Can you help me how to choose breeds that lay very very very big eggs, almost huge?
I am thinking of black hybrids, leghorns, jersey giants and minorcas.
What do you think?

Hi.
Can you help me how to choose breeds that lay very very very big eggs, almost huge?
I am thinking of black hybrids, leghorns, jersey giants and minorcas.
What do you think?
From Sand Hill Preservation Center:

"EGG WEIGHTS BY BREED
This is a multi-year data. We take this data at the end of July. There is nothing truly scientific about it, so please don't read too much into the numbers. A random dozen eggs is weighed from each breed. No attempt to select any size specimens is made. The more years we have had a breed, the more data is used in the average. PLEASE USE THIS INFORMATION AS A GUIDE ONLY!!

I. Jumbo (30+ oz./doz eggs):

Wheaten Maran, Blue Copper Maran, Blue Wheaten Maran.
II. Extra Large (27-30 oz./doz eggs):

Welsummer, White Minorca, Black Copper Maran, Delaware, Erminette, Silver Penciled Wyandotte, Black Australorp, Black Orpington, Partridge Barnevelder, Buff Catalana, Partridge Penedescenca, Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn, Barnevelder, Silver Grey Dorking, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Lavender Orpington, Silver Campine, Blue Jersey Giant, Black Langshan, White Jersey Giant, Blue Langshan, Cuckoo Maran.

III. Large (24-27 oz./dozen eggs):

New Hampshire, Blue Andalusian, Colored Dorking, Red Dorking, White Orpington, Auburn Sumatra, Black Minorca, La Fleche, Ancona, Black Jersey Giant, Blue Orpington, Manx Rumpie, Rhode Island Red, Buckeye, Buff Minorca, Blue Ameraucana, Blue Cochin, Salmon Faverolle, Ameraucana, Blue Wyandotte, Black Ameraucana, Buff Orpington, Rose Comb Rhode Island Red, Rose Comb Red Dorking, White Cochin, Golden Lakenvelder, Rose Comb Colored Dorking, Dark Grey Dorking, Flame Jaerhon, Partridge Rock, Crevecoeur, Red Polish, White Dorking, Buff Cornish, Buff Cochin, Black Dorking, Black Cochin, Black Penedescenca, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Mottled Java, Rose Comb Rhode Island White.

IV. Medium (21-24 oz./dozen eggs):

Dominique, Exchequer Leghorn, Lakenvelder, Speckled Sussex, Mahogany Faverolle, Buff Laced Polish, Barred Holland, Creme Brabanter, Partridge Chantecler, White Crested Black Polish, Black Polish, Black Sumatra, Red Leghorn, Golden Campine, White Chantecler, Buff Chantecler, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Cuckoo Dorking, Golden Polish, Spangled Russian Orloff, Light Sussex, Cuckoo Scots Dumpie, American Dumpie, Egyptian Fayoumi, Iowa Blue, Red Pyle Cubalaya, Longcrower, Columbian Wyandotte, Black Leghorn, Light Grey Dorking, Black Breasted Red Shamo, Black Crested Blue Polish, Black Shamo, Black Wyandotte, Red Chantecler, Black Breasted Red Kraienkoppe, White Polish, Mahogany Orloff, Red Sussex, Muffed Old English Game, Redcap, Frizzled Black Sumatra, Black Breasted Red Cubalaya, Blue Polish, Buttercup, Dark Shamo, Icelandic, Mille Fleur Leghorn, Norwegian Jaerhon.

V. Small (18-21 oz./dozen eggs):

Silver Polish, Golden Penciled Hamburg, White Cubalaya, Silver Kraienkoppe, Silver Penciled Hamburg, White La Fleche"

The White Leghorns that I got from McMurrays consistently laid extra large to jumbo eggs as well as the Welsummers that I got from assorted places. The White Leghorns laid practically every day. The Welsummers probably averaged 5 eggs a week from spring through fall and then mine would completely stop laying through the winter since I do not provide any supplemental light.

In my experience (although I haven't owned many breeds), Golden Sex Links are amazing layers! Like, amazing!!! Mine only took a day off once or twice each month, and they were the biggest eggs I got!:thumbsup

Thank you so much for all these useful answers.
But, I insist on black australorps laying small to medium eggs.
I used to have them.
And friends of mine have them for years.

Is there any particular reason why you are so keen for large eggs and if so, why not consider duck or goose eggs or even ostrich. Remember that those extra jumbo eggs have to be laid by a hen and the larger the egg the more potential for reproductive complications. The more market there is for jumbo eggs, the more the industry will breed for them, perhaps at the expense of the long term welfare of those hens. Spare a thought for those poor birds that have to pop those whoppers out each day and consider eating an extra medium sized egg instead.
It is the same with meat production. Farmers are breeding calves that are so monstrous that the cows cannot naturally birth them and the calves have to be physically jacked out of them or C sections are necessary. Selective breeding should be tempered with compassion for the animal involved. Things have gone too far in my opinion and it's so easy to accept the current status quo and not see them for what they really are.... which could certainly be considered animal abuse... and realise that we are pushing the natural boundaries too far.
Now stepping down off my soap box :oops:

Certainly hens eggs often get larger each season, so the older the hen the larger her egg may become. I really just wanted to make you think about why you want large eggs and consider that there may be a down side to hens laying larger eggs.

My EE laid HUGE eggs last year. Now it's my SCM who takes that prize. We've gotten double yolkers from both of them.

Personally, even if a JG (Jersey Giant) is a large breed... It doesn't really mean the breed's eggs will be "huge" like Brahma's, Cochin's (mine lay small eggs). Not quite sure the size you'd like, but my NH (New Hampshire) hen lays very large eggs. I's call 'em Jumbo. Surprisingly my SF (Salmon Faverolle) for her size lays really large eggs. All depends. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom