Huge Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DawnMarie64, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DawnMarie64

DawnMarie64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    One of my hens are laying wierd eggs. She lays one, a day or so later she lays one with markings and its smaller, at least a day or two later she lays one so big that I cant even get the carton closed. Suggestions? Ideas? I feel bad for her, it must hurt.

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    How old is your hen?

3. DawnMarie64

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    She is at least 8 months old.

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Hens that have just started laying and hens that are nearing the end of their laying life can often lay erratically. When our red sexlink first started laying, we were getting double-yolkers and other doozies. When our Production Reds started laying, we got wind eggs and several eggs with soft shells or no shells at all. After a while, things settled down, and now they consistently lay beautiful, normal eggs. It took their bodies a couple of months to get the hang of laying, so if your birds are only 8 months old, it's not surprising if one is laying unusual eggs.

Keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't end up egg-bound, but otherwise, she should be fine. It's nothing too abnormal for chickens.

5. DawnMarie64

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    Thanks for the information. I watch to make sure she is not egg-bound.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I agree you don't have anything to worry about :) My flock is coming up on 8 months old and I've gotten 1 fart egg, 1 shell-less egg, and a handful of double yolkers ("jumbo" eggs). I weigh them, kinda fun to see the differences. The biggest I've gotten so far was 3.5-3.75oz :)

7. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    It's fun to see what size eggs they will lay on any given day.

We have 7 birds - one of which isn't laying yet, so we reliably get 5 or 6 egggs a day.

2 are white, from the leghorns, and the other 4 are from three barred rocks and a columbian. The brown ones are all a little bit different - one lays speckled eggs, one egg is a very light brown almost pink color, one is dark brown, and one is a 'normal' brown egg. The difference in size from one day to the next can be quite surprising. The leghorns are by far the smallest - probably a small/medium by commercial standards, but the other day one of them laid a double-yolk WHOPPER that I never would have thought she could pass.

The rest range between large and jumbo. The dark brown is always really big, but never has double yolks.

The things you notice when you have chickens...........it's like talking about your baby's poop habits........something only another parent could appreciate

My favorite thing is when I go out to let them into their run in the morning - they seem to mostly lay first thing in the morning - and collecting eggs that are still warm!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. DawnMarie64

Jun 25, 2013
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    [​IMG]

2nd "big" egg from Kitty, the white one belongs to Spaz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by