Huge grasshopper outbreak! Chicken ninja skills honed.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JetBlack, May 22, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Scheduled, for this summer. My chickens are going to be so happy! NOM NOM NOM!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    is is through the whole country or only certain areas? My chickens will definitely be happy, but my garden won't. [​IMG]

3. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
  4. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    For us, we have not seen many bugs this year. Maybe it is the weather here in AL? I have hardly seen any grasshoppers, or bees. HOwever, I also have not seen many Mosquitoes which is a very GOOD thing.[​IMG]

5. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Two months later.... it's starting. They are big hoppers and the chickens are getting a lot of exercise. The chooks are quick. They have such good eyes too. They spot the hopper land and then race over to about a foot away, then stalk in for the final kill. Some of the grasshoppers are tiny but they get the same treatment. Streak/sneak/kill.

I have ninja chickens.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen all of three grasshoppers, between home and elsewhere.

Just not that many in the city I guess.

7. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I work as a security gaurd at night. We have been over run by crickets and big grasshoppers. We measured some 3 1/2 to 4 inch hoppers. They are every where. The celing and walls sound like a pop corn popper. Now they are starting to smell. Hope they go away before Thursday when I come back to work

Piecemaker

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:Hehe sneak the chickies in and let them take care of those invading pest...

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Ooh,ooh! I have an idea! Rent-a-chicken! Lease them out as Biological Control Units!

10. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:Green Pest Control. All organic, renewable pesticide. "A chicken is the most deadly pesticide, known to man". Our chickens are chemical free and seek out the pests, where they live. For a more well rounded, 24-7 pest control, use our new [Ka-Pow!] bat service, for seamless, day and night protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by