Huge hatching dilema.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, May 4, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    As some know, my only roo was killed yesterday. I miss him so much. I had considered sometime in the future, hatching a few little mixed up chickies from my hens just to see what I ould get. Anyway, my time is now extremely limited. I don't have an incubator, I know NOTHING about hatching eggs. All I do have is a bowl of fertile eggs ranging from about 4 days old down to now. None are washed or refrigerated. Do I try to hatch some, do I not? If I do, what hen's eggs would make the best mix? He was a Golden Campine. I have White Leghorn, GLW, RIR, RSL, EE. My first thought was White Leghorn since they are both a slim, small bodied bird. However, I just don't know if I should even try. I know this is an immediate, knee jerk reaction to losing him. Sooooooooo..........I guess the question is, what would YOU do?????

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would put them in the bator and see what hatches. [​IMG] Go ahead. What will it hurt? [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Any guesses on what the babies might look like from any of the above mixes? I have know clue what traits are dominant and what are not......

Oh, and just for the record, that is EXACTLY the answer I was expecting!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Quote:I second that!!!! Go for it!! [​IMG] Steph
    But beware, you won't wanna stop!!! [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] Surrounded by enablers!!!

6. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    you hatch every egg you have....what could it hurt....lol i would.....

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Wellllllllllllll................I went and bought the last incubator in the entire town (it was HARD to find) and re-po'd all of my eggs. I have the ones from my house and also took the ones from my mom's refrigerator. [​IMG] Figure it can't hurt and who knows. So I am going to try. I want a little rooster. I know it won't be him (won't even really look like him since it will be a mix) but it will be a part of him. So, wish me luck!!!!

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy.
    I agree with everyone else about hatching all your eggs.
    It won't matter what the mix is, they are all adorable anyway. Good luck with the hatch.

9. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Good luck, and we're all here to help if you need it.

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks everyone. The eggs are in. I am a nervous wreck now. I think maybe I should just sit by the incubator for the next 21 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by