HUGE Hawk hanging around past few days, Help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bengalcats1, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Any ideas what I can do to my run to protect my chickens? The run is Way to big to net it, I tried that and it just doesn't work. It is all fenced but nothing on top, I know that is just asking for trouble but I wanted them to have tons of room to roam. Someone said to string clothesline all thruout, does this work? I guess I just want something to deter the hawk from swooping in.....any ideas??? Im not sure where my crows have been lately, I even feed them corn to keep them around to deter hawks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I live in the country and was having lots of hawks around in early spring. I did a quick fix with a rag rope and attached aluminum pie pans and tied it from tree to tree across my run. Old CD's are supposed to work also. It seemed to work. I do confine them to the covered run for a few days when the hawk was around. You also might try stretching bird netting over areas where you can. The best protection would be to have a section of the run with access to the coop that is secured on top where you can put them up for a day or two. Having places they can hid for cover also helps. A hawk is not afraid to follow them into the run to kill them.

Nice you make friends with your crows. I love it when I see them harassing a hawk out of the area. Good luck.

3. Bengalcats1

Apr 29, 2011
    The crows were doing a pretty good job at keeping the hawks away, so I think anyway, I hadn't seen any. But now there is this Big one hanging around and making a lot of noise and making me and the chickens nervous....I will try the c/ds and roping

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    You can try some red mylar ribbon on bamboo poles.Maybe run some fishing line around the yard via the bamboo poles.Anything to keep the hawk from a clear shot.I babysat my hens,but one day the hawk attacked while I was by the house closing the gate.The bird netting saved the girls.

5. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    16 yo son + .22LR + shovel = No More Hawk

But then, I live in the country where nobody cares what you shoot or when.

Too bad they aren't good eatin'.

6. Bengalcats1

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Oh don't I wish but my neighbor would call it in so fast, he is a real peach....once called the cops on me cause when I had my lawn mowed the guy shot grass on his side of the fence on his gravel, so yes they paid me a visit over grass clippings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by