HUGE Iowa blue fan!!!!

IowaSteve

Hatching
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Well the age of cool things!!! Hi I am Steve
I have been raising Iowa Blues for a million years now. My grandmother got me started into searching for iowa blues when i was a small boy she told me how my grand father and 3 other men made the 3 day trip to northeast iowa to get Iowa blues for the homestead.
Grandma said Grandpa would only have the best! this was in 1920's. I never met m y grandfather but I sure was told all about him. so along with stories and all I have old black and white photos of my mother and her sisters surrounded by bunches of iowa blues it wasnt until grandpa pasted in 1944 that grandma sold the homestead in desoto iowa and headed for the big city in des moines. and the flock was sold off. So when i was in the service in the late 70s early 80s i pretty much see all 50 states and most of europe and asia... I was on base in new mexico and seen a ad for iowa blue chickens and i tore i out and kept in my wallet . some 20 years pass and my wife god rest her soul wanted to know if i wanted my old wallets and she brought them to me to go through well there was the ad. I called well they werent the same people but they told me about a near by hatchery and a few phone calls and some long distance charges and the long wait to mail a check and then recieve my 12 eggs for my incubator 9 hatched of the 12 2 roos and the rest hens, after waiting and waitig i compare pictures ..... not even close. sad day this was 1991 so working with the small time hatchery i sending mail and pictures they found me what i call real Iowa blues . they closed in 95 and i have still kept my flock .
since then more and more people had what they called iowa blues but very few had the ones the matched family photos. I wish i could of had colored photos but my mother and aunts say theyre exactly the way mine look all but one thing a mallard green tail they all send the cocks had a black and almost green tail mom said it shimmered like emeralds . my roos now have a small shine to them but I will never know if its enuff as my other passed and all the aunts so im hoping to meet someone or many folks with my passion for the bird. I have spent hours in libaries and old store rooms looking for pictures and advertisements ads anything and i have collected lots of things over the last 48 years.
STEVE

Hi Steve! Welcome to BYC. Thanks for sharing your story. My father was from Desoto. Of course, that was many years ago...... he was born in 1933.

Welcome! Sounds like you have some precious birds there! Are you interested in sharing some hatching eggs or chicks?

Last edited:
of course i will !!!!! and grandfather was born 1893 grandmother was born in 1903

Welcome Steve! You have come to the right place to commune with like-minded people! We are all kindred spirits (AKA chicken crazy) here. What I want is pictures, lots and lots of PICTURES! I'm not sure how many posts you have to make before you can post the pics, but I'll be waiting.......
caf.gif

Hi Steve! Wow I am so thrilled you joined BYC! There is a small group of us trying to bring back the Iowa Blues, but you're the first to actually know what they look like!
PLEASE join us on the Iowa Blues threads in my signature line and help get us on the right track!

Hey Steve,

Would you be willing to share some eggs with me this spring? I'd also be interested in learning more about what you know concerning this breed. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom