Huge Laundry basket as a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wyo-helpmeet, May 3, 2009.

1. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    I'm wondering (newbie, BTW) if I can use one of those utility sized laundry baskets as a brooder with a towel on the bottom, covered in pine shavings? I'm also planning on making a wood frame with chicken wire for the top to keep babies in & pets out. TIA!

2. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I'm new too so someone else will have some answers for you I'm sure! [​IMG]

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    as long as the basket has solid sides (no holes) it should be fine. People on here use the rubbermade totes all the time for brooders.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd go with the large tote instead. That keeps down drafts. You'd also be surprised how teensy the babies are, and what size of a hole they can squeeze (or just walk) through.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I picked up a 45 gallon Rubbermaid tote to use for my main brooder. It was something like $10 and it worked like a charm. [​IMG] But...

I have no babies left in my brooders, they're all in the tractor now. [​IMG]

7. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Somewhere around page 30 of the brooders thread, I saw a "reformed" rabbit hutch. Since we're wanting to do meat rabbits at some time, I thought making a rabbit hutch would be PERFECT for chicks, then rabbits! THNX for link cmom, and I love your pics on your page!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by