Huge lump on chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jpat, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Hey everyone

i noticed a bald spot on one of my chicks yesterday, now its a huge lump! What should i do? :bow

Attached Files:

2. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    iam pretty sure its the crop over filled. They are cut off food untill tomorow and i will go from there

HenniesInMyHeart likes this.
  3. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Somewhere in the mountains
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    Jpat likes this.
  5. FirstTimeClucky

FirstTimeClucky Songster

Feb 13, 2017
    That lump looks exactly like an infection that killed one of my hens a month ago. The lump appears on the wing in the same spot. Eventually the skin and tissue underneath die and scab over. The disease is called gangrenous dermatitis. It's caused by a combination of bacteria. It can appear when the bird's immune system is compromised. The mortality rate in young chicks is high. Note that I'm not a vet and it's best that you take the bird to a vet so they can give a proper diagnosis.

Do not withhold food, you'll just make things worse. Take the chicks out of their enclosure and thoroughly clean and disinfect the enclosure before putting them back in. Separate the sick bird from the others. The disease is not very contagious unless the birds have open sores, but it lives in the environment.

Assuming my "diagnosis" is correct, there are several antibiotics which will treat this condition but there's no guarantee the bird will survive. Your vet will test and see which bug is responsible before prescribing an antibiotic.

Here's a website with more details. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/gangrenous-dermatitis

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  6. Jpat

Jpat Songster

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Its definitly not air and its not on the wing, i shined a bright light on it and i think i can see feed threw the skin

It feels like feed inside it.

FirstTimeClucky thats a great post but i think my picture makes it look like its on the wing but its further ahead and lower

casportpony and Lil Drake40 like this.
  7. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Tiny chicks can really look like they are going to pop after they eat because they are so tiny. But keeping feed away from them till tomorrow probably isn’t a good idea. They need feed and water 24/7 at there age. Can you post some more pics front ward looking at the body ful front view

Jpat and casportpony like this.
  8. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    A friend asked me the other day if her chick could founder I have never heard of one doing that. They can really put the feed away though to be so tiny. What happened with hers is the feed got low so when she filled the feeder this one chick pigged out

Jpat and casportpony like this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Jun 24, 2012
    Sf Bay Area
    My Coop
    If it's feed then it's probably just a very full crop.

Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. CluckyHops

CluckyHops In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2018
    Possibly an impacted crop. Have you attempted to clear it yet?

Jpat likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: