Huge mite problem!

Zay

Songster
Jun 29, 2018
New Mexico
Mites are becoming a major issue with me. I’ve tried different sprays, deep cleaning my coop, certain baths, but nothing I do seems to get rid of them. I can tell that they’re bothering my birds and I need them gone. Do any of you know a way to get rid of them that can do a mass section of my coop at once? Also how do I know when they’re all gone for good?

It's toxic, but I swear by Zodiac flea and tick dog shampoo. I've never had a super-severe infestation, but if you scrub your coop with that, you'll be scraping dead mites off the wall tomorrow.
I've bathed chickens in very small amounts of it too with the same result. Hordes of dead mites almost immediately.

You might need something stronger to completely knock it out, though.

Permethrin spray vent underwings generous. At least 3 cycles 1 week apart.

Coop? depends on type of mite. Northern Fowl live on the bird, Red live in cracks/crevices so entire coop needs to be emptied, contents burned, permethrin soak all surfaces.

Kills all Iive mites but not eggs so you have to get at least two generations.

Permethrin spray is easiest, on birds and all surfaces in the coop, two or three times seven to ten days apart. Permethrin dust works but is more expensive and harder to use. In freezing weather it's safer on the birds.
Here wild song birds bring the mites or lice into the coop and on the birds, which is a sometimes constant source of reinfection.
This late winter and spring, with AI lurking, our flock is locked in 24/7, and no mites!!! Those sparrows can't get into the coop, a very good thing.
Mary

Elector psp

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 01-39-35 Facebook.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 01-39-35 Facebook.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 8
You can buy 1 gallon of Elector Psp for around $25-30 on Ebay (free shipping) No egg withdrawal!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 19-16-38 Elector PSP Insecticide Treats Poultry Mites - 10 ml Bottle ...png
    Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 19-16-38 Elector PSP Insecticide Treats Poultry Mites - 10 ml Bottle ...png
    575.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom